Menu

Kindergarten science? What do you use? Any experiment kits?

ChristusG

My daughter will be starting K next year and I'm looking for some science to use with her. Are there any simple little experiment kits out there that she would enjoy? Any simple science curriculums? A Christian based one would be awesome, but it does not have to be Christian based. Just nothing with evolution, etc in it because that is not how we believe. But I dont think that a science curriculum at that age level would include things like that anyways.

Thanks so much!!

I have a "Mailbox" book that I bought at a local teacher's supply store. It's called "Quick and Easy Science Fun."

I used it with my oldest, loaned it out and never got it back. :glare: So, I re-purchased it this year (side note of advice DO NOT loan things out until all your children are done - I can not tell you how many things I've had to repurchase this year!).

The other books I like to use in Kindergarten are the "Magic Schoolbus" books and the Usborne books. The Usborne books are great read-alouds with experiments and pictures right on the pages. Since you're just covering simple experiments to get your Ker excited about science, there's no worries about evolution or any of the other problems with a full blown science curriculum.

HTH!

Blessings!

Ariel likes the "Read and Find Out" science books from the library, which cover a variety of topics, and we have used Scientific Explorer's My 1st Science Kit and some of their "test tube" experiments like the non-melting snow and marbles that grow, all of which she has enjoyed. She also likes the science lessons in Five in a Row and the FIAR nature study guides.

Another suggestion, Janice VanCleave has a couple of books for early grade level science. I've been tempted to try out those, too.

I am using "The World God Made" for K with my dd. It is a good overview of science, with the order based on the days of creation. It is simple to use. There are not many experiments. However it would be easy to add extras, like books from the library, field trips, etc. if you want to do more. Dd loves it and I feel like she is getting just enough of all branches of science to give her something to build on as she gets older.

Our library has the non-fiction picture books in a separate section. They, also, have theme packs. We just pick something out every week. Sometimes they have fun projects in the books themselves. We purchased a ton of Magic School Bus at a garage sale and they have fun activities in them, too. You just have to look at what is going on in the class that day.

Bill Nye has some fun videos although there can be some evolution in them.

Our all time favorite science books for this age are by Jim Arnosky. I love, love, love him. All my boys have read them. I wish I had known how much as I would have just bought them all in the beginning.

If an older child does an experiment we always included the younger children. So, I don't plan anything for my youngest.

I have found that the "Let's Read and Find Out" books were my kids' favorites. They introduce everything very simply and have activities either in the reading or on the last page to explore more. I like the stage 2 better than the stage 1 books, but they are all very good.

Also, the ones we have used so far do not have too much that I would consider to be offensive to Christians. We are just starting a unit on animals, so I guess I will soon find out if they use evolution or not. So far the worst I have come across is for them to write something to the tune of "the earth is very, very old" ... but we all know that our kids think 30 is very, very old :glare::tongue_smilie:so I guess it doesn't really matter. There have been no dates like millions of years or anything.

HTH