Menu

What have you used or are using for 2nd and 3rd grade LA?

Annie Laurie

I was set on FLL 3 and WWE for my kids in the fall who will be 2nd grade (advanced in language skills) and 3rd then. But I have seen a lot of people here using it for 4th and I looked closely at the PHP samples and think that it might be upsetting for my 3rd grader, he is bright but easily overwhelmed, and he'd probably benefit from waiting until 4th to get into grammar that indepth, and dd may be advanced in that area but I'm not sure she needs to do grammar to that extent in 2nd. So now I'm thinking of waiting and combining them with it when they're 4th and 3rd.

I know we'll continue with WWE and AAS but unsure on what else we should be doing in the LA department.

What do you all use for those ages?

Queen's

Language Lessons For the Very Young is another gentle curriculum you could look at.

or:

Writing Tales 1. Take it really slow, write half a story at a time, or just do the grammar games one year or semester before starting the rest. Scope & Sequence. It is a fun program perfect for hands on learners, which is one reason why I am choosing it. I have not seen another grammar program that has hands on active lessons. At the bottom of this blog you can see the first three days of WT 1 (you would want WT2) and towards the top there is a review. She was using it with a young 8 year old and older sibling. There is a yahoogroup if you want to ask questions.

If you want to keep your kids at the same level, I would definitely wait for the youngest to be in 3rd grade and then go for FLL 3. With just one grade difference, it seems the way to go. For 1st and 2nd grade, I waffle between FLL 1/2 (picking and choosing) and doing just WWE.

They will have already done FLL 1 & 2 by this fall. My ds really likes workbooks, he keeps asking me for Wordly Wise (because he has seen someone else's), and ETC (even though he's reading well and does AAS). I don't feel either are what we need right now and would be a waste of our time but also want to help him learn in a way that's more comfortable for him. Maybe I'll go look at CLE samples for the thousandth time.

Queen's

Language Lessons For the Very Young is another gentle curriculum you could look at.

or:

Writing Tales 1. Take it really slow, write half a story at a time, or just do the grammar games one year or semester before starting the rest. Scope & Sequence. It is a fun program perfect for hands on learners, which is one reason why I am choosing it. I have not seen another grammar program that has hands on active lessons. At the bottom of this blog you can see the first three days of WT 1 (you would want WT2) and towards the top there is a review. She was using it with a young 8 year old and older sibling. There is a yahoogroup if you want to ask questions.

I've looked at that before and it looks great, but it still might be a lot for their ages. The author says 3rd or 4th grade for WT 1 so I'd still be in the position of doing things a bit ahead. And I really like WWE and wouldn't be able to use it if we were using WT. I do think it looks good though so now you have me giving some thought to doing it slower than written. It seems like we'd have so many good options in another year, I just need to fill in this coming school year.

Thanks, ladies!

Anyone else want to comment on 2nd and 3rd grade LA?

For my antsy easily overwhelmed child, I am using Lively Latin as our English program and fitting in writting to our lapbooks. Lively Latin teaches derivatives, vocabulary, grammar, history, art study and Latin.

Just another option. We are not doing spelling right now but will pick that up when she is ready for it as it is a tearful thing to do and so overwhelming. But Lively Latin is great for my pencil phobic child.:001_smile:

Being the "toughest" subject we do it first each morning together (even the tests). I don't do the writing portion of Shurley. We are using Imitation in Writing, Greek Heroes for my 11yo and Imit. in Writing, Aesop's Fables for my 9&7 yo. We do this once a month. I also "assign" writing letters to friends and family once a month.

Although we haven't liked Shurley in the past, we're really enjoying it this year. I think having the 3 kids working together has added a "teamwork" :grouphug:dynamic that we didn't have when oldest ds was doing it alone (not to mention how my own English skills were lacking and I was learning the parts of speech and grammar rules right along with my child).

Oh, and we are using http://www.spellingcity.com for our Spelling. I make my own lists although there are many to choose from -- and all for free!

Edited by Vanna
Forget to mention spelling

For my antsy easily overwhelmed child, I am using Lively Latin as our English program and fitting in writting to our lapbooks. Lively Latin teaches derivatives, vocabulary, grammar, history, art study and Latin.

Just another option. We are not doing spelling right now but will pick that up when she is ready for it as it is a tearful thing to do and so overwhelming. But Lively Latin is great for my pencil phobic child.:001_smile:

I've been considering Latin next year so I'll take a look at Lively Latin again. Thanks!

we also use Sonlight readers, read alouds, and a grade level grammar workbook (we have used Flashkids, but next year are trying the one WP uses). We delay formal grammar until 5th or 6th and just do a survey/workbook approach prior.

We also use SL readers and read alouds, they're great. :001_smile: It's funny you should mention WP, I was just looking at their 3rd grade LA again; I had considered it previously and then dismissed it, but it does look like something ds would really enjoy.