Menu

Easy Grammar vs. Voyages in English

Mrs. Frankweiler

Hello,

I'm new on these boards...I'm homeschooling a 3rd grade ds and 1st grade dd this year (with a 4yo and 2yo tagging along.) I've been using FLL for both older kids, and (FLL 1 & 2 for 1st grade, FLL 3 for 3rd) and we're just kind of sick of it. I think I'll use it until the end of this year, but we going to switch for next year.

So, I'm pretty set on VIE for the (soon to be) 2nd grader. The leading contenders for my upcoming 4th grader are Easy Grammar 4 + Writing Strands 3 OR Voyages In English 4.

I'm leaning towards VIE. It has mixed reviews on here, but it seems like a pretty solid curriculum for both grammar and writing. One of the things ds doesn't like about FLL3 is that it "looks" boring. (i.e. the pages are black and white, no pictures, etc...) and VIE doesn't have this problem. My concern about VIE is that since it's a hardback I'm assuming there's a lot of rewriting of sentences in the grammar portion of the book. (Obviously, I hope there's writing in the writing portion!) Rewriting sentences is not high on ds's "fun things to do" list, IYKWIM.

Easy Grammar seems to get pretty positive reviews everywhere I've looked. But, just like FLL, it "looks" boring, and I'm afraid ds will get sick of the repetition and same looking pages just like he (and I) are getting sick of FLL3. On the other hand, there seems to be less writing. Rather than, "Write the noun in this sentence" it's more like, "Circle the noun." Do I have this correct?

So, any thoughts? Opinions? I'd love any help!

-Mrs. F

I have no experience with VIE, but can discuss both FLL3 and Easy Grammar.

perhaps this thread might help you here http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61300

I do not believe either FLL3 or Easy Grammar to be boring. FLL3 does have scripted responses for the parent, which you do not have to do exactly as she said, you can tweak. Easy Grammar is sometimes circle, but it is also sometimes, underline, and sometimes it does have you writing out whole sentences. I am not sure how either one of the programs could be considered boring, they both move so quickly, and the lessons are relatively short, that just doing one lesson a day should not be to long to be to be considered to dull. I quess grammar is grammar, and not the most exciting subject for some, and both these programs are in black and white print, but they are both solid, easy to use programs.

Given his thoughts, I would probably do Easy Grammar with him anyway. I would let him adjust to the fact that even if it is not exciting by his standards, he only has to work on it for 10 or so minutes a day.

Thanks, that does help.

According to ds, it's "boring" because there's no color or pictures. ITA with you....grammar is never going to be like a day at the fair, but it's one of those things that has to be learned.

I think he also dreads FLL because of all the diagramming. This is another reason Easy Grammar is a contender...it doesn't have ANY diagramming, from what I'm told.

BUT....VIE only has one chapter of diagramming, so I feel like at least he learns it, but it's not overwhelming.

Decisions, decisions.....

-Mrs. F

Given how he feels, definitely give Easy Grammar a try over FLL3, it is easier on the student in that there is no diagramming. It is so painless, he won't realize he really is learning. Just because it doesn't do diagramming, doesn't mean he won't be able to know all the parts of the sentence and you can add diagramming in around 5th grade if you wish.

I don't know if you saw my earlier post about EG, but you can buy the older combined level Teacher editions straight from the publisher for $8.00 plus $3.00 shipping...versus about $32 for just the TE.

You only need the TE as it has a page for the student to write in, and at the very least, at that price you wouldn't be out much if it doesn't work for you. I think he might be surprised by the fact that it is so easy, he won't realize it is "painless learning" :D

EG may or may not be "boring," but that's irrelevant, lol. You're only going to do, oh, 1 page a day, depending on how old your dc are, so you just get in and get out.

You can do something for history and science that is not "boring," but sometimes you just gotta get in there and get the job done. EG got the job done for us.

So the majority think Easy Grammar is the way to go, right? No votes for Voyages in English? Come on...it looks so great!

(Can you tell which one *I* want to use?)

-Mrs. F

If I hadn't decided to go with Classical Writing, I would have gone the VIE route. But since I'm going to use CW I can't see spending the money on what is basically another writing program.

No, I haven't seen it in person...though that is a great idea and I will try to find someone who has it.

I'll try once more....for those of you who hated it, what was so bad about it? I'd rather find out beforehand than make another curriculum mistake! I feel like this first year has been full of them!

I think maybe my problem is that VIE is the type of book I was used to in school, and I would be more comfortable using it to teach my kids, even though it isn't the best book out there or even the best book for them. How do I break this spell? :confused:

-Mrs. F

Here's what I said about VIE in the other thread:

We used Voyages in English in third grade. In my opinion, it is a huge waste of money. It costs a lot to make a big glossy-paged hardcover book. Half the book is discarded immediately, as SWB (correctly) advises us to ignore the Writing part of the book. The material in the grammar portion of the book is readily available in many less expensive programs by other publishers. Even the same publisher produces Exercises in English, which is less expensive, provides pretty much the same grammar training and has more extensive practice exercises.