Menu

how do YOU use Spielvogel?

We just worked through the book. We started it,when we were doing ancients. So for the first year we just read the first chapters dealing with that. Then the next year we did middle age and reformation. But I didn't try and match it up to exactly to the great books or historical fiction we were doing. We just matched u p the period.

We did Ancients this fall and are doing a Ren-Ref course this Spring.

We are supplementing the text with TTC videos for these periods.

I'm also using the Cengage website that goes with the book for extra research activities for my kiddo.

We like it, especially the way the videos enhance what we are reading, since we are only doing a portion of the book, this gives us more meat.

I decided to take a break from chronological history this year and take a geographical approach. So I got Around the World in 180 Days, and for each continent, we are working through the pertinent sections of Spielvogel as we do the Around the World. DS also has to do 1 country report and 1 book report for each continent. He thinks it's too much work, but I think it's about right. He's in 9th grade. I'm talking about the Spielvogel Human Odyssey here. I'm not sure which Spielvogel you meant.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have access to the teacher component of the Cengage site for Spielvogel.

If so, how do you get it? To apply as a teacher they only give school option.

Is there another site that does the same?

I thought someone had posted a link some time ago and I cannot find it.

Thanks for sharing.

which TT videos did you use and would you still have the link to the cengage site you mentioned when you did AP European history?

Thanks a million for sharing.

Michelle in VA

First, I did not do AP European history. We did two, 1 semester courses last year using Spielvogels Western Civ. We did 1 semester on Ancient History, through the fall of Rome and 1 semester on Ren/Ref History.

If you send me a pm with your email address I'll be happy to send you the syllabus I developed that includes the TTC dvd's. It is too large to post here.

Here is the link to the student web site at Cengage:

http://www.wadsworth.com/cgi-wadsworth/course_products_wp.pl?fid=M20b&flag=student&product_isbn_issn=9780495502852&discipline_number=21

My instructor login seems to have expired. However. I do not have the point of contact there anymore, but with due diligence and lots of phone calls you can get access as a home schooler. I got in by using my oversight academy, which both the oversight and cengage were fine with at this time last year. Last year, when I was looking into this, I noted several "school" names that were, IMO, obviously the names of home academies, so I think there is more than one way to do this.

Sorry not to be able to be of more help, but this should get you started.

SHaron

We are using Duiker/Spielvogel World History. Just going through the book mainly. Plus the kids are doing external reading (fiction, non-fiction, biography/autobiograhpy) for each time period unit (5 units). Then if the kids want to delve deeper in any subject they can.