Menu

Okay scrapbookers, I need some opinions on albums...

I used to sell Creative Memories and, I have to admit, tend to be very loyal to their stuff. However, there are SO MANY cool things out there that CM is only a drop in the bucket and I want to re-do my kids' albums and make some major changes.

So, if you scrapbook (which you must or you probably wouldn't be reading this thread) do you use the strap-bound style album like CM sells, or a post-bound? And what are your reasons for choosing the type you use?

I've been using CM's strap-bound albums, but have a friend who is really making some strong points for the post-bound ones. What does the hive scrapbooking mind think?

Thanks for the input!

Well the CM ones are true 12x12 now so that's a huge boost. I actually like the quality of CM albums best but not being able to rearrange pages as needed is a huge issue for me. Top loading ones have the most flexibility IMO. You could use the CM ones and either wallpaper and not stick your pages down until the album itself is done or you could use the new side loading slip in page protectors.

Well, I have to say that CM converting to the true 12x12 really lost me. I am very matchy-perfect and that's why I was using their stuff. But first they did away with the design on the cover and they changed colors. (Now I can only get my ds' Sapphire album on ebay...for $$$) Then the size changed. I think you are right - there is so much *fun* stuff out on the market, and it has improved SO much over the years that I am contemplating not using CM anymore. They're so pricey, too, especially getting the refills pages & protectors.

I have done one album with the posts, but it was a little frustrating. The pieces are small and you have to remember where you store the extenders. But there are so many cute ones out there - it's not that frustrating.

And what about digital? Holy cow, should we just convert to that? I'm telling you, all these choices has really put a cramp in my scrapbooking. When I'm frustrated, I just tend to do nothing, which isn't good. :glare:

I tried the toploading post bound ones first and my first albums fell apart when the posts broke. I've not had problems like that with CM albums. I like the CM albums the best but use a variety of papers. I also do mine so that it can all be taken apart if I need/want to.

I'm probably no help.:001_smile:

Yes you can change albums out if you need to with post bound. CTMH makes a good top loading but they feel very large compared to CM - it's just a really big album on your lap kwim? WRMemory Keepers is a good brand too.

It's a hard choice especially if you want your albums to be relatively consistent.

Hi Stacey,

CM now offers a side-loading sleeve that gets put into the album like a traditional page but it is a 12x12 clear sleeve, much like a top-loading sleeve in a post album. So you can make double-sided pages and slip them in a CM book--finally!!

These pages are fairly new and have a been a huge hit with my customers who have been waiting for this for years.

As for digital, if you wish to convert your old pics to digital, you can scan them, either yourself or at a local photo shop.

I'm still a CM consultant (7 yr anniversary this month!)...I'm not responding to draw in new customers, but I'm happy to answer questions, traditional or digital.

I use CTMH albums almost exclusively. When I made the switch from the 8-1/2x11 (ring bound) to the 12x12 I found some post bound albums off of ebay. I love the covers but found that the posts were really cheap, some of the threads were not made right and cross-threaded when I tried to add extenders. I have since converted all my posts to CTMH replacement posts. I have a pioneer album that I won but haven't used because of the size, it will not let me use the protectors I like with them hanging over the edge. I love to use the protectors with the extra area next to the holes that allows the pages to lay flat if I have the album at around 3 inches.

As for going digital, No way! I love the feel of the papers, emblies, and everything. I'm a very tactile person and need to "feel" it. I also LOVE the look bumpy pages, just not too bumpy. ;)

There's my 2 cents worth.

I mean does the album still have traditional pages, or do you just use those sleeves and put your pages in? Do the sleeves actually go into the album then you just slide your page in or what?

I'm confused...

Also, I am VERY into consistency in look so that is an issue. I don't have to have the same color or anything, but I would like them to all be the same STYLE and type.

They are just a smidge bigger than others, which makes it easier to get pages in, especially if you tend to use a lot of paper or are a lumpy scrapbooker. With the others I had to occasionally trim the page down to fit it in.

I used CM albums for many years, but when I moved up to this area of town I found a new group to scrap with and they all used top-loading. I've gradually made the switch. My albums don't match, but that doesn't bother me.

I mean does the album still have traditional pages, or do you just use those sleeves and put your pages in? Do the sleeves actually go into the album then you just slide your page in or what?

I'm confused...

Also, I am VERY into consistency in look so that is an issue. I don't have to have the same color or anything, but I would like them to all be the same STYLE and type.

Stacey, the inside edge is the same, reinforced edge with the same two staple-like hinges attached so it goes on the straps the same way. The sleeve opens at that inside edge so your top and bottom are still closed like a traditional protector and the outside edge is as well. You slide your finished page in from the inside edge. I will pm you a link to my website so you can see it.

This new page fits in your album just like any other page and would blend in nicely with other traditional pages too...or not. :) These match the same CM style you are used to. You could theoretically have an album of all these sleeve-type pages or just use them from time to time as desired. The price for 15 of them is the same as pages/protectors so it is an even match in terms of expense.

Hope that helps! I'll send that PM link next...