Menu

has anyone used the free k12 program?

BonAmy

We used the (free) K12 program last year. I used this program with two of my children - grade 6.

Here in Georgia they can/will send you a printer, computer, boxes and boxes of curriculum and pay for a portion of your internet.

We completed the entire year and after it was all done I felt like the children did not 'waste' the year - rather I felt like I missed out on a year of teaching my children.

I also felt that they were using this program to get a wedge in (a say so) to our home and I didn't like how they questioned my authority as a parent.

Parents were called "Coaches" not teachers. Also, the principle of the GA K12 refused to allow my children to receive their standardized testing unless I signed a medical release waiver - even though I, and the guardians (infacto's) of my children were in the building the whole time.

MANY of the parents got around this by changing the wording in the medical release waivers (it was given out in Word Document).

Anyway, I feel like all the homeschool moms who expressed opposition were correct. I have heard that this year they are making even more requirements and pushing their foot farther in our door.

I did like the K12 History and English curriculum and we are using that in our homeschooling this year.

I hope this information helps. I am sure everyones experience will vary depending on how they feel about government oversight.

Edited by 5KidzRUs

Heh. I thought you meant this K12 which would have really surprised me. My sister uses the above K12, which she gets "free" (after taxes ;)) through the school district. She likes it, but they're only homeschooling for circumstantial reasons for this year.

How does the scam thing work? Does she make you give a cc number or something to get the "free" stuff?

ETA: Ah. After checking out the scamsite k-12freexxxxxxxxxxx.org I see that you do have to register a cc number. Yikes.

Edited by Veritaserum

We used the (free) K12 program last year. I used this program with two of my children - grade 6....I hope this information helps. I am sure everyones experience will vary depending on how they feel about government oversight.

You're talking about the K12 I thought they were talking about. :) They are talking about something else.

We used the (free) K12 program last year. I used this program with two of my children - grade 6.

Here in Georgia they can/will send you a printer, computer, boxes and boxes of curriculum and pay for a portion of your internet.

We completed the entire year and after it was all done I felt like the children did not 'waste' the year - rather I felt like I missed out on a year of teaching my children.

I also felt that they were using this program to get a wedge in (a say so) to our home and I didn't like how they questioned my authority as a parent.

Parents were called "Coaches" not teachers. Also, the principle of the GA K12 refused to allow my children to receive their standardized testing unless I signed a medical release waiver - even though I, and the children two other guardian (infacto's) were in the building the whole time.

MANY of the parents got around this by changing the wording in the medical release waivers (it was given out in Word Document).

Anyway, I feel like all the homeschool moms who expressed opposition were correct. I have heard that this year they are making even more requirements and pushing their foot father in our door.

I did like the K12 History and English curriculum and we are using that in our homeschooling this year.

I hope this information helps. I am sure everyones experience will vary depending on how they feel about government oversight.

That is different than the one in this thread! you are talking about k12 which is completely legit. this is http://www.k-12freeXXXXX.com ( I don't want to type in the website here because this thread WILL get spammed!)

A little OT--but--if you link to a web site--can the website, then, somehow, track the link back and "spam" you?

Yes! Actually, the website isn't automatically spamming you... but the site owner M.R., in this case, can see where the links are coming from and then she will register here (or wherever) and pretend that she LOOVES the curriculum and were all just haters here. She checks blogs and forums for any negative press and then posts giving a different view but she rarely signs her own name.

Edited by Jumping In Puddles