Menu

Questions about FLL 3

Annie Laurie

Does it cover the same content that R&S English 3 covers?

Would this work okay for a 2nd grader who is advanced in language skills and who has completed FLL 1 & 2?

Would it also work for my 3rd grader who has not done FLL 1&2?

Does anyone do FLL with more than one child at the same time? I was thinking of going over the lesson with both kids and then letting them do their workbook pages themselves. (Or are the workbook pages dependent on parent participation?)

And last but not least, has anyone had their child(ren) transition from FLL 4 to R&S 5, and is it an easy transition or do they need to go back to R&S 4? (I ask because IMO, R&S tends to be advanced).

Thanks!

:lurk5:

All of your questions are *excellent* questions. I would also like to know the anwer to everyone of those!;)

My ds finished FLL 1/2 this past Nov. We went straight into R & S grammar 2. It has been great for him to do the exercises. To actually put into practice all that he as memorized in FLL 1/2. He has been writing the exercises out and it has really helped his penmanship.

He will be in 2nd grade next school year and I want to start FLL 3 then, but I also love R & S. I kinda have a feeling that FLL will be a better fit for a younger child doing grammar a year ahead. I thought I'd just finish out the FLL series and then switch to R & S in 5th. I think that is the sequence that is suggested in the WTM, right? Anyway, can't wait to read responses!

Does it cover the same content that R&S English 3 covers?

I've not used R&S so I don't know.

Would this work okay for a 2nd grader who is advanced in language skills and who has completed FLL 1 & 2?

Pretty sure it will be fine. We went straight from FLL 1&2 into 3. I can't see any reason it wouldn't work out well

Would it also work for my 3rd grader who has not done FLL 1&2? You may have to do some memorization of the definitions of the parts of speech that he didn't get from 1&2, but there is plenty of opportunity for that in FLL 3. So much that we often skipped the reciting of the definitions.

Does anyone do FLL with more than one child at the same time? I was thinking of going over the lesson with both kids and then letting them do their workbook pages themselves. (Or are the workbook pages dependent on parent participation?) Any workbook pages that need to be done are scripted. For example in learning diagramming, you say "what is the action verb in this sentence" The kids can both find the action verb and write it on the appropriate line. Then you'd ask for the subject that is doing the action, both kids can find the answer and write it on the appropriate line.

At some point toward the end of the book you can tell them to diagram the sentences without the walk through. But the walkthrough script is there in case you need it.

And last but not least, has anyone had their child(ren) transition from FLL 4 to R&S 5, and is it an easy transition or do they need to go back to R&S 4? (I ask because IMO, R&S tends to be advanced).

I can't answer that because we are going from FLL 4 into Classical Writing.

Thanks!

HTH and someone can fill in the R&S blanks for you.

:lurk5:

All of your questions are *excellent* questions. I would also like to know the anwer to everyone of those!;)

Let's hope someone knows the answers for both of us, then. :001_smile:

He will be in 2nd grade next school year and I want to start FLL 3 then, but I also love R & S. I kinda have a feeling that FLL will be a better fit for a younger child doing grammar a year ahead. I thought I'd just finish out the FLL series and then switch to R & S in 5th. I think that is the sequence that is suggested in the WTM, right? Anyway, can't wait to read responses!

I really like R&S also, but have had the same feeling about FLL. It seems like it might be more gentle than R&S, but I could be wrong in my interpretation of that and am hoping someone will weigh in. I was just going to delay grammar but have had a change of heart about that and FLL 1&2 has been so quick and easy that it seems like a happy compromise.

I will tell you that my 3rd grader, who did not complete FLL 1/2, is doing just fine in FLL 3. Also, my 2nd grader, who is currently working through FLL 1/2, would do just fine in FLL 3 and would really rather be doing it with us than still doing FLL 1/2. :-)

I don't know anything about R&S, because we've only used FLL so far, but I think you can jump right in to FLL 3 with no issues at all.

Hi, Katy!

What I struggled with regarding grammar was mostly if it was worth investing the time, especially at an earlier age. We have so many things we're trying to fit in and I have four kids to work with, so I need to make sure that each thing we do is worthwhile and a good use of our time since adding something to the rotation will bump something else off- there's only so much we can do in a day.

For a long time I subscribed to the idea (kind of CM influenced) about absorbing proper grammar through reading a lot and seeing good writing, and endless instruction being unnecessary. I always did well in English and composition in high school and college, without having had much in the way of formal grammar. And my kids write fairly well for their ages and have been raised in a literature rich environment. But when I thought about it more, I remembered how often I had to (and still do) look-up the details when I was unsure about the proper way to write this or that or the what the rule was, etc. It seems like it would be a lot easier to have that memorized, because it gets in the way of the flow of writing sometimes. It just seems like a useful tool to have and I decided it's worth the time now, instead of having to put in the time later, which is what I've had to do and what my oldest has had to do. I'd like the other kids to be able to focus on other areas in high school because they got grammar down now instead of later, and for grammar to be a tool in their tool belt and not something that is impeding their progress in other areas.

I've also seen through working with my oldest how overwhelming it can be to try to grasp so much grammar at once, and I think learning gradually over the years would be a lot easier. I've seen the value in FLL this year, which takes 5 minutes, and isn't hard to do, and I see with my own kids how easily they memorize things at this age and actually like to do it. I'm not against memory work as the CM model seems to be, so have moved away from following that thinking in a lot of things now, including grammar. Though I've had a hard time getting a handle on what exactly a CM education is, to be honest. I see it interpreted in many different, often vague, ways among homeschoolers. And I just have a lot of trust in the classical model and am committing to following that more. (With WTM as a frame work in particular).

So there's the very long answer, you're probably sorry you asked now. :001_smile:

I will tell you that my 3rd grader, who did not complete FLL 1/2, is doing just fine in FLL 3. Also, my 2nd grader, who is currently working through FLL 1/2, would do just fine in FLL 3 and would really rather be doing it with us than still doing FLL 1/2. :-)

I don't know anything about R&S, because we've only used FLL so far, but I think you can jump right in to FLL 3 with no issues at all.

That's good to hear, thanks.

So there's the very long answer, you're probably sorry you asked now. :001_smile:

Not at all... I've actually had a similar "change of heart" about education philosophy in general. I think a lot of people interpret CM very shallowly, and what people consider CM is not necessarily what she intended at all. Even my mom, who loves CM, says that CM's language arts was not enough. They just didn't have the research and understanding that's been gained since she lived. And SWB's interpretation of a classical education really makes a lot of sense to me, and, I think, lines up well with what CM intended.

I think what you said about what you really want to be able to focus on in the upper years (like content) makes a lot of sense. It does seem worth it to invest the time in learning grammar during the early years, so that you can have that time later. I look forward to hearing how FLL goes for you!