Menu

What do you use to prepare students for SATII subject test?

At the time my daughter took the SAT subject test in Math she had already taken Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra 2, College Algebra and Trigonometry.

Are you aware that there are two different SAT subject tests in math? My daughter took Level 2.

I would say her previous math experience helped the most. In addition to that, she did work through the college board book as well as browse through some other test prep books we had on hand. She's math competent though it is not an area of interest for her. We were pleased that she scored in the high 600s.

Regards,

Kareni

I took my dd to a bookstore (several actually to get enough diversity) and had her sit down on one of the comfy chairs. We pulled as many books as we could find, for the subjects she wants to take. Then I went to the grocery store :) About 45 minutes later she had decided which one(s) would be a good fit for her.

If your student will take several SAT subject tests, the College Board (blue) book is a good investment. It won't have strategy at all, only a previous actual test for ALL the subjects. But that's the only way to practice using a real test. All the other study guides use "practice tests" but they're just based on the tests, not actual previous tests (clear as mud?) :)

I think there are three very different aspects involved in preparing for the SAT2 exams.

1) Be aware that the crowd of folks taking the SAT2 is pretty selective. Usually the only kids who take SAT2's are the ones who are thinking about applying to the more selective colleges. These kids are taking honors-level classes in high school and they are using fairly rigorous texts.

Not ALL textbooks provide the depth of knowledge of bio required to do "well" on the SAT2. So if you plan on your student taking an SAT2 after studying a specific subject, make sure that the course/class/ text is fairly rigorous.

2) Know the subject matter well. This sounds obvious, but this means different things for different subjects.

For math and English and foreign languages, subjects that build cumulatively year to year, the more years of the subject the student has completed, the better. These exams are best done later in high school -- winter/spring of junior year or even fall of senior year.

For subject-specific exams such as chemistry and biology, do be aware that many of the students taking the SAT2 in those areas are finishing up their SECOND year of the subject. Frequently students take the bio and chem SAT2 after taking the AP course their junior year. Can you score well after only taking one year of the subject? Absolutely -- but make sure the class is rigorous.

3) Buy SAT2 prep books. Have your child spend a half-hour or so in a bookstore choosing which prep books most fits his/her style and buy them! Have your child work slowly through one, doing all the exercises and then have him do some of the practice tests. Use the other prep book as another source of practice tests. Since prep book tests range from ridiculously simple to outrageously difficult, having more than one source is beneficial.

Between them, my oldest kids have done ten SAT2's. I would never ever consider having a kid take an SAT2 without working through a prep book first.

We are starting the process with child #3 this spring -- he will take the bio SAT2 in June.

Would taking an AP class help? My ds is in AP American History this year, so figures he might as well take the SATII also.

Yes, my dd took the SAT2 after taking APUSH, and she said that APUSH is great prep.

Don't skip the prep boks though -- the exams have slightly different emphases.