Menu

Can we compare/contrast these art books?

mo2

Draw Squad by Mark Kistler

Global Art by Kohl

Discovering Great Artists by Kohl

Drawing with Children by Mona Brooks

I want something fairly simple and easy to implement that we can just pick up and do a lesson whenever we feel like it. I would like to be able to use it with a 7yo.

Thanks.

I like Draw Squad, as did my kids. Drawing with Children drove me nuts. It was to theoretical and not enough, here, this is how it is done. It is a lot about how you feel about the art and letting your creativity flow. We did enjoy the chapter about the five elements of contour shape but that is about all we got out of it. I am not artisitic at all, so that might be part of the problem.

Edited by jcooperetc

I can't compare, but I have several of Mark Kistler's books. I probably found them in a bookstore around upper elementary. I recall being so glad that something was finally teaching me how to draw! I never finished a book, just skipped around a bit, but some of the lessons stuck with me. Maybe I was just ready to hear them.

Global Art by Kohl

I want something fairly simple and easy to implement that we can just pick up and do a lesson whenever we feel like it. I would like to be able to use it with a 7yo.

Thanks.

The only one I have seen is Drawing With Children. I like using DWC, but it did take some studying by me first to learn how to use it. I've used it slowly over the past 3 years or so, but we have made decent progress and had fun learning. It's basically 5 lessons (with some preliminary work before the lessons) on: elements of shape, drawing from graphics, drawing from a still life composition, negative space/proportion/shading, and using other media/figure drawing. But I wouldn't call it pick up and go, unless you study the lesson first.

We have Global Art. We are using it with MFW ECC this year. I like it, but unfortunately, it is the first thing that gets cut when we are short on time. I will say that most of the time, I do have to get some things ahead of time because I don't have a lot of the supplies at home. For example, plaster of paris is listed for a lot of projects. It has been fun and uncomplicated when we've used it!

Global Art by Kohl

I have all of these w/ the exception of Mark Kistler's book (but we subscribe to his online video lessons).

First, Draw Squad & Drawing w/ Children are both focused on drawing. Discovering Great Artists has more art projects (drawing, painting, creating collages, etc...) & Global Art is what I would term a craft book. So, I guess part of it would depend on what you want to accomplish.

If you use Drawing w/ Children, here are some free lesson plans that go along w/ the book:

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/dwclp.htm

We haven't started Drawing w/ Children yet ourselves, but I like the way it looks. I think it's something we could slowly work through. We are using Mark Kistler's online videos & the kids have a blast following his instructions. He makes things easy to follow, but they are a bit cartoon-y looking (if that matters to you).

I really love Discovering Great Artists for the way it ties into history. It is easy to find an artist or two that ties in w/ the time period you are studying, read a short paragraph about the artist & then create art of a similar style. The biggest drawback in this book, imo, is the lack of color photos of the real art these artists created.

Global art is a craft-y type book & you would need a varied assortment of supplies around to do some of the projects. It is a fun book as long as your dc likes to do crafts & it ties in w/ geography, if you want to emphasize that angle.

Of all of these, I guess my vote for ease of use/pick-up-and-go would be the Mark Kistler book (even though I don't have it), lol. Discovering Great Artists is not so pick-up-and-go, but it has some wonderful projects that turn out very nicely.

If you have other questions, let me know & I'll try to answer, lol.