Menu

Anyone have experience with hypoglycemia?

My 2 year old was acting very weak & spacey this morning. She looked like she was about to faint. So, I checked her blood sugar (my 10yr old is a diabetic, so thankfully we have several meters) and it was 47:eek:. I gave her a juice and 1/2 hour later it was 51 :eek:.

I took her to the ped, but on the way there, she came around and started acting normal again. The day before yesterday, she had stomach upset. She seemed fine yesterday, although she ate very little. My ped thought that perhaps because of that and the fact that dd is fairly small, she didn't have any reserves to handle it & that is why her blood sugar dropped so low.

Is this somewhat common? ?? Experience anyone??

I haven't seen it in kids but I get that way sometimes. I've never checked my bloodsugar but if I for some reason miss a meal I get spacey, shaky and feel sick.

The first time it happened I was at work and scared the living daylights out off my co-workers because apparently I was white, clammy and looked a bit spacey. I had some sprite and a banana and perked up.

I can only imagine how scary it must have been. :grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug: That must have been scary! Your doctor is probably right about her size being a factor. There are a couple of us in our household that deal with hypoglycemia. We have to eat protein first at every meal. Protein snacks, too. It makes an amazing difference for us. No skipping meals, no carb snacks unless eating protein first. At bedtime we may have a carb snack, but only after eating protein at supper to get us through the night. HTH!

My eldest had it when we visited my family when she was 2 1/2 because she was too excited to eat.

PROTEIN is important. No sugar snacks (eg cookies and juice-a cookie and some milk or soy milk would be better). Adequate protein helps keep blood sugar levels stable. Balanced meals when it comes to carbs (complex carbs are important, too, and adequate fat/oil helps you feel full).

I don't know about diabetes, but I do have one who becomes very cranky if her blood sugar levels get low and she doesn't have it. I learned it when she was about 2. She was having a tantrum every day. Another mother asked me if there was a pattern, and there was--half an hour before lunch. I moved the lunch time and her tantrums ended. I still have to be sure she gets enough protein. My eldest, too, but it wasn't so obvious with a pattern. I can get migraines from it, but I pass every 12 hour fasting test with flying colours (but I eat enough protein 12 hours before so that I don't get a migraine).