Menu

HFA and FLL....

Hello

Those of you that have children with High Functioning Autism, are you using FLL for grammar? I loved it with my son. I didn't do the scripting part exactly as I added my own stuff. I believe I can do that if need be with my dd. She does have LD issues and she is delayed academically.

My questions are:

How did FLL work for your child?

Did it frustrate your child more often than not?

Anything else?

Thanks

Holly

I used FLL1/2 with my son and absolutely loved it. He has Aspergers, but academically fits more of a HFA. He is behind academically and struggles really hard. The memorizing was great for him and he loved the repetition. I used it with him when he was 7-8. I wish FLL3 had been out then, because it would have been an ideal follow-up. R&S was too hard, and not enough continual review, even with the oral review questions. We finally found JAG and have been using it.

For my daughter with PDD-NOS, she's more moderate than high-functioning, but I plan to use FLL1/2 with her over the next two years when she's 7 and 8 also.

My son loves FLL too. I think it works for him because 1) the lessons have variety (he loves the poems), 2) memorization comes very easy for him, so he feels competent memorizing the definitions and word lists, and 3) the lessons are not too long for his short attention span. He's now in Volume 3, and the writing seems to be at just the right pace for him. We bought the CD to go with FLL 1 & 2 and that was a huge hit. The first time I listened to it I thought it was too mellow, but he still asks to listen to it for fun!

I tried it with my 8yo HFA ds but the scripting wasn't a good fit for us. This is more a teacher issue than a kid issue and we did better with Queen's Language Lessons and are currently using R&S English 2. At least for 2nd grade, R&S isn't moving too fast. We do it orally. I do plan to use R&S 3 orally next year with the worksheets and test for written practice. As a reference, ds is on grade level for reading and his receptive language is average, but he does have an expressive delay.

Another big hit here is Writing With Ease 1. We use the workbook, so it's open and go. We do have to use it a year behind because of fine motor issues with the copywork, but it's a very good fit for ds at that level.