Menu

Can you help me settle a dispute with my 9 yo son

Even "octopi" is dubious.

Quoting Wikipedia:

The Oxford English Dictionary lists octopuses, octopi and octopodes (in that order); it labels octopodes "rare", and notes that octopi derives from the mistaken assumption that octōpūs is a second declension Latin noun, which it is not.

Rather, it is (Latinized) Greek, from oktṓpous (ὀκτώπους), gender masculine, whose plural is oktṓpodes (ὀκτώποδες). If the word were native to Latin, it would be octōpēs ('eight-foot') and the plural octōpedes, analogous to centipedes and mīllipedes, as the plural form of pēs ('foot') is pedes. In modern Greek, it is called khtapódi (χταπόδι), gender neuter, with plural form khtapódia (χταπόδια).

Even "octopi" is dubious.

Quoting Wikipedia:

The Oxford English Dictionary lists octopuses, octopi and octopodes (in that order); it labels octopodes "rare", and notes that octopi derives from the mistaken assumption that octōpūs is a second declension Latin noun, which it is not.

Rather, it is (Latinized) Greek, from oktṓpous (ὀκτώπους), gender masculine, whose plural is oktṓpodes (ὀκτώποδες). If the word were native to Latin, it would be octōpēs ('eight-foot') and the plural octōpedes, analogous to centipedes and mīllipedes, as the plural form of pēs ('foot') is pedes. In modern Greek, it is called khtapódi (χταπόδι), gender neuter, with plural form khtapódia (χταπόδια).

1st there is Bill.

BTW Bill, I just want you to know that next to the Bible, I consider the OED my favorite book(s). :D If I had to do it all over again I think I would study the history of word usage. Preferably in England.

I just have to point out that Bill was quoting wikipedia.

Everytime I quote wikipedia I get a lecture about the fact that the information there is unverifiable.:glare:

I just have to point out that Bill was quoting wikipedia.

Everytime I quote wikipedia I get a lecture about the fact that the information there is unverifiable.:glare:

I was going to quote H. W. Fowler, whose article on the subject I read recently in Modern English Usage but cutting and pasting from Wikipedia was so much more expedient :D

Bill (lazy, what can I tell you :tongue_smilie:)

Well, as the o is silent, and it is pronounced possum..... I have a couple of opossums that come around here at night, I could go ask them for you. ;0)

ETA: according to Webster's, it is opposums. I asked the little creatures themselves, but they just showed me their teeth and ran off!

Edited by Unicorn

BTW Bill, I just want you to know that next to the Bible, I consider the OED my favorite book(s). :D If I had to do it all over again I think I would study the history of word usage. Preferably in England.

I always wanted to own the full set. We do get online access through or library (which I use all the time) but at home I sure love the two-volume The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary. I love the history of words and word usage as well.

Say, have you ever read a book called The Loom of Language by Frederick Bodmer? Absolutely fascinating book on language, the evolution of English and its relationship to romance and germanic languages, strategies for learning additional languages. And, because it was written during the late-stages of WWII some naively hopeful notions about world peace.

It's a weird mix, but for a person who loves words and the development of language, it is a book you might enjoy.

Bill

Well, as the o is silent, and it is pronounced possum..... I have a couple of opossums that come around here at night, I could go ask them for you. ;0)

ETA: according to Webster's, it is opposums. I asked the little creatures themselves, but they just showed me their teeth and ran off!

Wow, your opossums ran off? That's amazing. Our WILD opossoms just kinda use to look at us as though we were interrupting them and continue munching on whatever they were eating, before we were so unkind as to try to get them off of our porch!

Carrie:-)

Who doesn't ever want to see another one again!!