Menu

Travelling in caravan while hs

DH and i have a dream of spending a few years living in a caravan travelling around the country with our kids. Its starting to look like we might be able to do this 2010 or 2011.

YAY!

So ... has anyone hs 'ed while travelling? Anything I need to start preparing, taking into consideration? etc etc I'm basically looking for advice because I'm sure there are a lot of issues especially re hs that I haven't considered.

If it makes a difference dc will probably be 9, 7, 5.5 and 2 when we leave.

My advice would be to make sure you take all your curriculum books for the whole time (and some more) with you; or make them readily available so that your family or someone can post them out to you. Have a big selection of possible reading books with this person too (I see you have a supportive Grandma :001_smile:), sorted out so that they can find the ones you will need easily.

There were so many wonderful things to see and do on our journey (we travelled around France and England) that we only really covered the basics with the curriculum. Having said that, on rainy days, we read a lot more than we would have if we had had the distractions of a home.

Make sure you bring favourite teddies and as many toys as you can manage. We thought we would be minimalist, but found that toys were not something the children could, or should, do without.

Buy the most comfortable caravan you can afford. Ours had bunk beds and two tables (the tables were very important on rainy days for the children and for keeping our dinner separate from the home-learning books).

Have a wonderful time.

I would think that hsing on the road would look quite different from that at home. Mainly because of the additional learning opportunities that would present themselves.

However other than that I have no clue.

I do know however that there is a yahoo group for Australian hsing travelling families. I don't know what it's called but good luck finding it!

We did this for 3 years before settling in Mexico. You don't need the books you'd think you do because of the bounty of public libraries. We drycamped next to libraries a number of times. We also unschooled when we were on the road. There is a yahoo group called FOTR (Families On The Road) and a decent number of weblogs written by traveling families. I'm thinking we'll get back on the road this summer (depending on the economy).

Thanks for the info. I really like the idea of just covering the basics and letting the travel take care of other things.

I'll see if I can track down those yahoo groups.

FWIW both grandmothers are very supportive, which is something we are very lucky and grateful for. We tried school for 9 months, and before that they were very luke-warm on the idea. Afterwards, they were very supportive.

This is also our family goal, only in the US. We hope to do this while ds is still at home. We had planned to do it this year, but some life situations came up and it is on hold at least until next year, maybe two.

Families on the road also has a website here. I know one of our big decisions is that we will have to sell our house. We also are already downsizing some of our clutter and think before we bring anything large into the house.

It's an exciting prospect and we have no clue where we might end up before it is all over. :D:auto:

My parents RV fulltime, and they have really enjoyed it. One of the things they do is to stay in one area, explore there, and then move, maybe only an hour away, and then explore that area. (Helps save gas money.) They have taken advantage of local museums and local history things, which often are free. They have noted that many museums are closed on Mondays, and make that their travel day or errand day most of the time. They do tow a car, so that they don't have to disconnect the RV every day. Internet has been something that has been difficult for them. Not every campground is the same - some have dialup in the office, some have WIFI, some have nothing, not all is free, and some require one month payment.

They have enjoyed it, and I think it would be a great way to school! (They are schooling themselves, now.)

ETA: They have a big rig, and need to be careful about campgrounds - they don't fit in all of them, so planning where they are going (their route) does take some time and planning.