Menu

Testing

KerriF

I prefer to use the ITBS or Stanford, since they are kept current (both the tests and the scoring). Home schoolers can't get a current edition of the CAT.

I have used BJU Press for the ITBS and CogAT for group testing several times now and always had efficient, helpful service. (You do not need to be affiliated with BJU in any way or use their curriculum.) I know others who have used Piedmont Educational Services and been very happy.

Some home schoolers use the PASS test from Hewitt, but I won't because it's not truly normed.

Edited by abbeyej
typo

I used the IOWA from BJU press with my daughter. You can give it to your own child and it's a nationally used test, that's why I picked it. (Also, I took it growing up in school.) I never give my daughter tests normally, I want her to practice once a year to be ready eventually. Plus, we're military, who knows when we'll end up in a state that requires a multiple choice test. You can also give it to other homeschoolers.

Here's the BJU link about the IOWA test and how to apply to give the test:

http://www.bjupress.com/services/testing/iowa.php

Edited by ElizabethB

I have used the IOWA test from Brewer Testing. I highly recommend them due to their outstanding customer service (and they are also the least expensive, I believe).

BJU -

ITBS = $40

CogAT = $32

ITBS/CogAT combined = $57.50

Piedmont -

ITBS = $40

CogAT = $40

(no combination discount that I could find)

Brewer -

ITBS = $38

CogAT = $38

BJU -

ITBS = $40

CogAT = $32

Piedmont -

ITBS = $40

CogAT = $40

Brewer -

ITBS = $38

CogAT = $38

As an fyi, with BJU you have to apply to be a test administrator for the Iowa, providing a copy of your bachelor's degree/transcripts/teaching certificate/other qualification, and it takes about 10 days per the website to get confirmation. Only once they approve your qualifications will you be allowed to order test material.

With PES and Brewer, you sign a statement on the order form verifying that you meet the criteria. We have only used PES so far (for three years for the individual in person testing using the Woodcock Johnson III and one year for the Iowa) and been very happy with their customer service.

I don't believe you have to have a bachelor's degree to administer either the long or short forms of the CAT test. I know a friend who uses the survey form of the CAT because it takes only about 2 1/2 hours overall, where the full battery of the CAT or the Iowa take more like 5 hours (over several days).

Edited by KarenNC

BJU -

ITBS = $40

CogAT = $32

Piedmont -

ITBS = $40

CogAT = $40

Brewer -

ITBS = $38

CogAT = $38

I have been very happy with the service from Family Learning.org.

Quick response time, and items mailed on the dates requested.

http://www.Familylearning.org

CAT-E = $35

With Piedmont you have one week in which to administer the tests and then mail them back for scoring.

With Family Learning. org you have two weeks to do them.

From Brewster's website I can't get the information.

Edited by inashoe

With Piedmont you have one week in which to administer the tests and then mail them back for scoring.

With Family Learning. org you have two weeks to do them.

From Brewster's website I can't get the information.

We did the Iowa with PES last year, and we had the tests for at least two weeks. You pick the week in which you plan to test, but the materials are sent to you about a week ahead of time. I know some folks spread it over two weeks. We did ours over a few successive mornings.

From their order form, "You will receive your tests one week before your chosen date".

As an fyi, with BJU you have to apply to be a test administrator for the Iowa

Yes, this is true. But it only took about two days when I did it (pretty much 24 hours after they received my paperwork), despite their warning that it could take longer. And you only do that once. After that, you're in their system and can order tests any time.