Menu

Question about personnel files for those who have worked in Human Resource management

I'm sure much depends on company policy, but in general, what goes into your personnel file? Should the employee be apprised when something is put in there--isn't it customary that the employee sign to acknowledge articles included in his file?

Please tell me all you know about personnel files! More explanations may be forthcoming.

Thanks!

In general?

Your original application

Any tax forms you had to submit or appendices/adjustments to such

Any performance reviews

Any changes in your status (raises, promotions, etc.)

Any written disciplinary action taken

Any notes on formal oral disciplinary actions (if you were "called in" to a supervisor's office, for example)

Your attendance records

Your resignation or notice of dismissal

Companies *might* also include payroll summaries, expense report summaries, samples or summaries of your work (like projects you've worked on, proposals, etc.)

Of course, all of this depends on what your job is. It also varies GREATLY from company to company. AFAIK, companies do not *have to* tell you or get your permission on what goes into your file.

In companies with *any* kind of formal HR, there should be guidelines available to employees regarding the structure and maintenance of their personnel file. Most smaller companies, however, do not have formal HR procedures and just tend to wing it. Even some medium sized companies wing it, too.

I would strongly suggest asking the company what their policies are in this regard.

Some things are supposed to be in a separate such as any medical issues or drug testing. I don't remember why, but you should be able to find this info locally. Also garnishment info. All you should look locally online for what should be in the file and in separate HR files. It's been a while since I've done this.