Menu

Would this be a copyright violation, or okay?

Let's say I purchased a book, brand new. It contains pages to tear out and use for worksheets and permission is given to make copies for within the family.

Say I tore out a couple of the pages and partially used them, but I've lost the parts I didn't use (and now I need them). Would it be a copyright violation for someone to scan those 2 pages for me so I can print them and use the parts I (stupidly) lost?

I'm just annoyed with myself here...

I say yes. Of course that is morally I do not think you are violating any copyright laws. You have purchased the material. The person who would be helping you has also purchased the material. Now if a friend who had never purchased it wanted a page I would not do that. See the difference?

I think you'd be on firm ground morally, ethically, and legally if you copy a couple pages to make up for the ones you've lost.

You've paid for the materials, and have been given permission from the author/publisher to reproduce the materials for your family's use. I don't see this as even a slightly "grey" case. I'd copy with a clear conscious.

I am impressed that you have enough respect for copyright law and the protection of intellectual property rights than you've asked yourself (and us) the question.

Bill

I think you'd be on firm ground morally, ethically, and legally if you copy a couple pages to make up for the ones you've lost.

You've paid for the materials, and have been given permission from the author/publisher to reproduce the materials for your family's use. I don't see this as even a slightly "grey" case. I'd copy with a clear conscious.

I am impressed that you have enough respect for copyright law and the protection of intellectual property rights than you've asked yourself (and us) the question.

Bill

:iagree: You spent the money - they got their money - you just lost the pages. No big deal.

I'm pretty uptight about copyright, and this wouldn't bother me since you have a legal right to make copies for your family.

Thank you for taking the law seriously. I'm continually amazed at the number of people homeschooling to keep their children away from the evils of public school immorality who think nothing of stealing their homeschooling materials via copyright violations. :tongue_smilie: