Menu

Understanding the Theory of Math

SonshineLearner

Or behind the Math:-) I'm wondering if those of you who have studied this, or seen it in action, can tell me how I understand if my daughter understands the theory of the math that she's studying.

I was wondering about pre-algebra and algebra on up....and my husband was trying to explain what I should be looking for in a math program. He's an engineer. He might as well have been speaking Russian. I didn't get a grasp of what he was saying.

Then he tried to explain to my step-daughter who is doing Pre-Calculus. She didn't understand the "theory". Hmmmm

I saw Ali in Oregon talking about being a math teacher and liking Singapore.....

(I have a 5th grader and 5 yr old right now.)

Carrie :001_huh:

Or behind the Math:-) I'm wondering if those of you who have studied this, or seen it in action, can tell me how I understand if my daughter understands the theory of the math that she's studying.

It sounds to me like you are asking how to choose a math curriculum.

You would want a math program that teaches both the why and the how of mathematics as clearly as possible.

Look for a program that has been around for awhile with a proven record or find research that supports the program you are considering.

Research the author's background, and check that the author has a demonstrated background in mathematics - something that convinces you that this person knows the material and knows it well enough to teach it to your child.

Consider your own background and children's abilties in math and work within those parameters to make a choice that is the best for you and your family situation.

Finally, remember there is no royal road to geometry (to quote Euclid). Math is hard work, and if someone tells you that it should always be easy and fun, they are not telling you everything.

Good Luck :)