Menu

Finance/Business curriculum?......

Tammy

May not be exactly what you're looking for, but if you are looking at finance regarding business, I just purchased this and it looks wonderful: Your Business Math Series . I will be using it with my 11 & 13 year old.

ETA: We will use the Pet Store one and see how we like them and perhaps do more. :)

Edited by Tina in WA

May not be exactly what you're looking for, but if you are looking at finance regarding business, I just purchased this and it looks wonderful: Your Business Math Series . I will be using it with my 11 & 13 year old.

ETA: We will use the Pet Store one and see how we like them and perhaps do more. :)

We're doing this right now! It is awesome! The girls are 10 and 11 and doing the Bookstore. They love it. We do it daily and they don't want to stop. It is worth every penny!

The curriculum is a mock start-up business that covers a business year. The children begin with 10,000. With that they purchase original inventory. Then every month they process customer orders with sales tax, update and order inventory, pay bills (have to write the checks too), pay for advertising and complete a ledger and figure profit or loss. Each month the child draws a card from a stack of AISS (additional in store sales) cards and a card from a 'Chance' stack. These cards can help or hinder. For example, one of my girls drew a chance card that gave her 1/2 off her inventory restocking order. My other one got one that increased her sales by 10%. The program is a great way for children to see what running a business really entails.

The curriculum is a mock start-up business that covers a business year. The children begin with 10,000. With that they purchase original inventory. Then every month they process customer orders with sales tax, update and order inventory, pay bills (have to write the checks too), pay for advertising and complete a ledger and figure profit or loss. Each month the child draws a card from a stack of AISS (additional in store sales) cards and a card from a 'Chance' stack. These cards can help or hinder. For example, one of my girls drew a chance card that gave her 1/2 off her inventory restocking order. My other one got one that increased her sales by 10%. The program is a great way for children to see what running a business really entails.

Wow. I've thought, when dreaming, about doing something like this with my kids at this age. There are so many, many practical applications to the rest of life if you have a better understanding of the ins-and-outs of running a business, and I wanted my kids to have this understanding. I had no idea someone had already thought it all up.

Thanks for sharing.