Menu

If you've used CW Homer, and gone on with more CW . . .

jeri

can you tell me if the going gets easier? DD is at lesson 14 in Homer B, and I think she (and I) are starting to fade. Still love the program for what it's done for both of us, but just wondering if the next level is a good fresh start. Is the work load the same, heavier or lighter? Is the grammar done? Thanks.

jeri

can you tell me if the going gets easier? DD is at lesson 14 in Homer B, and I think she (and I) are starting to fade. Still love the program for what it's done for both of us, but just wondering if the next level is a good fresh start. Is the work load the same, heavier or lighter? Is the grammar done? Thanks.

jeri

We don't start Diogenes until next Fall, but I have been looking through it. The workload seems much less intense! I can't wait to start it.

CW Homer gets overwhelming at times; therefore, I plan 1/2 of Homer, then do Poetry for Beg, and then finish up the the last 1/2 of Homer. We did Homer A with Poetry for Beg A last year. This year we are doing Homer B with Poetry for Beg B. The CW poetry program gives us enough break to make it through Homer.

I agree with Angelina that Diogenes looks less intense. I can't wait! Even though Homer can be tough at times, I wouldn't us any other program to teach writing. My youngest son will go through the same CW sequence. I've seen so much improvement in the writing skills of my older boys with CW that I know it's worth it in the end.

HTH!

CW Homer gets overwhelming at times; therefore, I plan 1/2 of Homer, then do Poetry for Beg, and then finish up the the last 1/2 of Homer. We did Homer A with Poetry for Beg A last year. This year we are doing Homer B with Poetry for Beg B. The CW poetry program gives us enough break to make it through Homer.

I agree with Angelina that Diogenes looks less intense. I can't wait! Even though Homer can be tough at times, I wouldn't us any other program to teach writing. My youngest son will go through the same CW sequence. I've seen so much improvement in the writing skills of my older boys with CW that I know it's worth it in the end.

HTH!

That's encouraging, Beth. Dd starting Homer OB this week and it is intense. Ds is doing an accelerated Maxim but it has lots of Homer in the beginning as review. This program is fantastic. Not for the faint-of-heart, though.

Beth & Angelina, How long before you got a handle on the program?

Thanks!

I started the CW program with Aesop B when my boys were in 4th & 5th grade. Then we did Homer A and Poetry for Beginners A. It was probably 1/2 way through the 2nd year (with Homer A) that I started feeling comfortable with the program and understanding the big picture. Actually, now that I think about it, I started understanding more as I began to read through the Homer Core book for the 2nd time in preparation for Homer B. I'm going to be such a better teacher with the CW program for my 3rd son...

I also found that I really need to prepare more on the weekends for our CW assignments. The weeks that are the most difficult are the ones where I'm reading through the Instructor's Guide and the Core book as I'm trying to teach the lesson. For me, this is easier said than done though.

I started the CW program with Aesop B when my boys were in 4th & 5th grade. Then we did Homer A and Poetry for Beginners A. It was probably 1/2 way through the 2nd year (with Homer A) that I started feeling comfortable with the program and understanding the big picture. Actually, now that I think about it, I started understanding more as I began to read through the Homer Core book for the 2nd time in preparation for Homer B. I'm going to be such a better teacher with the CW program for my 3rd son...

I also found that I really need to prepare more on the weekends for our CW assignments. The weeks that are the most difficult are the ones where I'm reading through the Instructor's Guide and the Core book as I'm trying to teach the lesson. For me, this is easier said than done though.

Yeah, I'd say it was about halfway through Homer A that I got my bearings. Reading the core and taking notes on each skill level helped to see the big picture and find my groove. We completed Homer B without using the workbook. We'll start CW Poetry next week and we are all looking forward to that.

I think I asked this in another thread last week but didn't have time to wait for the response and now it's buried (I'd dig, but with such a slow connection, it would take hours). So, what age does the CW program recommend starting at? Is CW also the name of the co. that sells it and would have online samples and explanations? Thanks!

jeri

Yes, the work load of Maxim is less than Homer B, especially if you take it at the pace scheduled in the student guide. My boys commented about how easy Maxim seemed as compared to Homer when they first started it.

Homer B takes you through Part I of Harvey's Elementary Grammar. Maxim takes you through most of Part II. Chreia alternates the remainder of Part II with the reading of Elements of Style (Strunk and White).

In Herodotus, the study of grammar is replaced by the study of logic.

we are not using Harvey's. instead, when a new idea is introduced, i use either R&S or Warringers, both of which I think do a good job explaining. So, as long as we continue with grammar as outlined in the guide, we will be okay?

jeri

FYI,

We are doing CW Older Beginners and I have about 1.5 hrs scheduled /day for 4 days/wk for CW plus about 15min 2 days/wk for Harveys. I asked on the CW message board about the next level and it seems it might only take about 45 min - 1 hr per day, 4 days a week! :)

Thanks Kathie,

Yes, I am budgeting that for CW OB. A few subjects will take a back-burner until we get a handle on CW over the next couple months. Worth it, though!

Jackie,

Which logic method do they use?

Thanks!!

Yes, Traditional Logic comes first and then they move into some Material Logic. Here's a paragraph from the Herodotus page on the CW website:

To accompany the studies in Herodotus, we recommend a concurrent study of a beginning level logic text, either Traditional Logic from Memoria Press or an equivalent course of your choice. The logic text is recommended, not required. All logic and rhetoric concepts needed are taught in this text. Unit 4 of Herotodus also covers material logic, an investigation into content of the subjects we are reasoning about. No additional textbook is required for these lessons. Instruction in syllogistic logic will be given in Demosthenes, our 11th and 12th grade text.