Menu

So a guy crashes his motorcycle and dies after speeding through a residential area...

The news reporting is focused squarely on whether he was being pursued too closely by the police.

Ten paragraphs into the story they happen to mention he was on Meth and took off as the policeman was walking up to him during the traffic stop.

The moral of the story seems to be "police chases are bad."

Does this stuff drive anyone else nuts? The moral of the story is don't take meth or run away from the police!

But your opinion may differ.......:lurk5:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090109/NEWS06/901090353

I see both sides of this sort of thing.

The fault for the incident does surely lie squarely on the meth-man. His actions precipitated the event.

However, I have watched policemen speed excessively through my residential neighborhood in order to catch a druggie. To me, this is not acceptable. Why risk killing a four-year-old in order to catch a druggie?

As much as I hate to see the bad guy get away (and believe me, I do) risking life-and-limb of innocent bystanders to catch him is not ok.

Not that the reporting in this case isn't still a bit askew...

and also recognize that police officers have procedures and standards in place to strike the right balance between catching the bad guys and protecting the innocent. Excessive chases in neighborhoods endanger many people. So I don't mind officer's being held to observe reasonable safety requirements.

It's really not news that here are people taking meth and then driving around and endangering lives doing it. It's news because he died, and if the high speed chase made that more likely, people are interested in that. Rules about high speed chases are designed to protect officers, innocent bystanders, and even the idiot who is doing something stupid. If the guy lived, he would look back years from now and really regret his stupidity, but now he won't have that chance, and it's really his own fault, but still, if the police could have made that less likely, then they want to do that.

Edited because I posted before without really digesting the information that the guy DIED.

Edited by Danestress

The fault for the incident does surely lie squarely on the meth-man. His actions precipitated the event.

However, I have watched policemen speed excessively through my residential neighborhood in order to catch a druggie. To me, this is not acceptable. Why risk killing a four-year-old in order to catch a druggie?

As much as I hate to see the bad guy get away (and believe me, I do) risking life-and-limb of innocent bystanders to catch him is not ok.

So when the druggie kills the four-year-old everybody will be demanding to know where the police were while he was speeding through the residential neighborhood.

They just can't win, no matter what they do. :glare:

It's really not news that here are people taking meth and then driving around and endangering lives doing it. It's news because he died, and if the high speed chase made that more likely, people are interested in that. Rules about high speed chases are designed to protect officers, innocent bystanders, and even the idiot who is doing something stupid. .

And I'd be even more concerned about a lie from the police department than a chase.

I thought there was plenty in the article to cast the dead man in a bad light: unable to support family, lost license, meth, etc. I know the father talked up his son, but unless he was also a p*dophile/p*ornographer, I don't know what bad stuff was left out or watered down.

Where I live they DON'T speed excessively to catch anyone. Honestly, I wish they would. I would much rather the police not allow people to get away with garbage. My neighborhood is eloquent testimony to how bad things become when there is only a feeble police response. The good people here despair about getting any help, and the criminals openly mock and scoff at the police. They know perfectly well that nothing will happen to them.