Menu

If your child has moved from the Grammar to Logic stage, what was the biggest change?

JudoMom

My oldest will be starting 5th grade in the fall. I need to read the Logic stage stuff in TWTM (I've only skimmed it because it seemed like it was so far away), but I'm waiting for the new edition to come out (probably just further denial on my part because I've got the 99 edition sitting a few feet away from me :tongue_smilie:).

What I'd like to know is: What was the biggest change or surprise that you encountered when you shifted from grammar to logic stage? What advice would you give to a Mom whose oldest is on the edges of making the shift?

Disclaimer: I know that this move isn't based soley on grade level and has to do more with each individual child, but even if he's not ready for logic stage in the fall, he will be sooner rather than later and I'd like to be prepared :001_smile:.

Edited by JudoMom

History was the biggest disappointment after SOTW. This seems to be a common complaint on these boards.

'99 version recommends using Kingfisher as your spine.

Wait for the new version, KHE has gone OOP and WTM will have to replace it with something else.

Outlining is a new skill for 5th graders, and most seem to have a hard time learning this new skill.

All I can say is read, read and re-read what WTM says about it, get the hang of it yourself, and help your child along with learning outlining.

Science is also a disappointment. I really looked forward to it, but found the texts too basic for my science loving son.

He can't go onto most HS texts since they involve algebra, so he is stuck in the middle.

Others have success, so this isn't a problem with all.

As you say, it really depends on the child. My first born seems like he came out of the womb in the logic stage, my 2nd son, although very bright and logic stage in many areas, is still in the grammar stage in some of his thinking. He's great at facts, but struggles with thinking through some of the whys. I guess I was surprised by that. I kept waiting for this complete, at once change and it didn't happen. So we're baby-stepping our way in those weak areas and he's getting there, although I hope at some point he takes a leap. :001_smile:

Pick up your 99 edition and start reading, I'm guessing most of the theory is still the same and that the recommendations are the biggest change.

DD loves Fallacy Detective, and loves telling me what kind of fallacy I have just attempted to perpetrate. I love it that she is learning this stuff.

I also like the way she is retaining more history, just from lapping through it more and more. When I refer to something she often will be able to pick up what I'm talking about and we can have an actual conversation that doesn't start with a recap of history at that time and place, because she just knows it now. She is also fun to discuss books with, and her writing is really getting pretty sophisticated.

When she turned about 9 1/2, all of the sudden she was able to go away and stay for several nights without being lonely for DH and I. It was a very startling change, and pretty abrupt.

So I guess that I would have to say that by and large I really enjoy the logic stage because I love watching my DD mature and develop.

We used the How...books for a while for science, but did find them a bit elementary, so now we are using Science Explorer, which is working out a lot better. RS4K 1 is also good for early logic, especially chemistry and physics. For chemistry, we paired it with Tiner's "Exploring the World of Chemistry" which was a great complement to it. If I had known about the Tiner books sooner, I would have done the same with physics. When we get tired of the Science Explorer books, I plan to go back and do RS4K Chemistry Level 2.

Since we were still using SOTW as we transitioned into official Logic Stage according to the WTM, I never felt it was much of a leap. Yes, we started outlining- which was managed pretty easily by both kids. We did logic puzzles- easy for my older. When my younger got to logic puzzles i expected to just sail through and was surprised he found them challenging.

I found with a mildly LD and writing reluctant child, I had to take longer to transition him anyway. However in some ways, mentally he was quicker than his older sister to start analysiing and thinking more in depth. She is very easy going and, well, lazy, and she always does just what is asked of her- and she wasnt going to do any thinking she didnt have to :). I remember for a long time thinking she really wasn't into logic stage thinking- but now that she is 14, I would say, it was probably around 13 that she changed. And some other programs say 13 is around the beginning of logic stage anyway.

I think the fact that we were continuing with SOTW, and we werent doing science the WTM way, and I was using LCC for quite a while too- meant there was no severe jump. Every year just gets "harder" than the next.