Menu

Halfway through the schoolyear and we changed curriculum in 2 major subjects...

Chemistry and World History. We never make it through without a major change in at least one subject. Dd has dyslexia and some LD's which make it a challenge at times. One year we switched math books 3 times. I am just proud that we have used the same math curriculum for the past 2 years. It looks like the new Chemistry and History are a good fit. Anyone else change like this?

I feel your pain. This year has been especially challenging with my son now entering high school. We have changed history, science and Bible. The content areas (ancient history, physical science, New Testament survey) are the same, but the texts are different. I am hoping that this will not happen next year.

I guess this is just our transition year.

Jennie

I changed language arts!!

I switched my 6yo's phonics workbooks from ETC (black and white) to MCP (color)...so far so good!

And I'm in the process of ordering IEW for my boys. I've always wanted it, but haven't wanted to cough up the $$$, but desperate times call for desperate measures! ;) My 9yo was using LLATL Orange and my 14yo was using the Jensen's English series, but it's just not working.

So, no, you're not alone!

This is, literally, the first year we have not changed anything. One year, we went through 3 LA programs, another it was 3 math.

In fact, now that you mention it, I am NOT in the throes of the typical mid-year curriculum mania that occurs right after the holidays. This is usually when I'm wigging out, looking for "better" stuff for next year. Huh. I wonder what that means. :001_huh:

I usually end up switching quite a bit, especially in January. This year, I put LLATL Red on hiatus and we're doing a souped up version of WP LA 1 for ds. I did know we would pause LLATL before the "Getting Ready for 3rd Grade" units because I want to do those during the summer. I did switch plans from SL LA 2 to WP and that is going well. Dd finished Calvert K and started LLATL Blue. Her school years seem to start in January, even though I didn't intentionally plan it that way.

Our other major change was to go back to SL from WP's Hideaways in History. We enjoyed Cores A through C, although I don't use the IG and do eliminate and add books to make SL secular, so this is familiar territory.

I thought I'd change ds to MUS, but after really trying it out, I think we'll use it as a supplement to R&S. I do like it, but ds needs a lot of practice and R&S's mastery with constant review fits him best. Dd loves MUS, so the next time we hit a wall with R&S 1, we'll switch for a while.

Yes - in the past I have twice taken a kid out of public school mid-year and home schooled. This year, I have gone through THREE math curriculums to find the best (and, alas, most $$) fit for dd. TT, then Videotext (which I already owned and used successfully with her older brother) and finally, Chalkdust.