Menu

Question for those who use Junior Analytical Grammar...

Rhonda in TX

What grade(s) are you using it with? I know they say it can be used up to 5th grade. I'm trying to follow the Charlotte Mason method in our homeschooling and grammar is my biggest hang-up. I noticed that Simply Charlotte Mason recommends JAG spread over two years - 5th and 6th (going into 7th if needed). Do you think this is reasonable? (SCM has Analytical Grammar starting in 8th grade.)

I'm trying to streamline our schedule for next year and I like the idea of less time spent on grammar. We really, really need to work on writing. I'll have a 5th and 6th grader.

(I've thought of just taking our current grammar - CLE - at a slower pace, but I am very much a completionist and it really bugs me not to finish something in the course of the year.)

My 4th grader did it from September to November and finished it. She did go into it already completing Shurley English 1-3 so she was very prepared and most of it was just to show her how to diagram sentences because, much of the grammar was review. She is doing 2 chapters a week now of SE 5 because she wants to finish school in May,mind you this is my high acheiving child, my other 2 would NEVER do this:)

Honestly I'm not sure how you'd take 2 years for JAG. It's only a 10 week course in the first place. Many stretch it out over a year which makes it very easy and quick. I would start AG in the 6th grade personally so you can follow the 3 year plan, which makes it a priority for 10 - 12 weeks each year and then you are DONE for the year. Remember the AG people say you don't even need to do grammar until AG. They created JAG for parents who wanted something earlier. So either do JAG over a year and then start AG or just don't do grammar until AG.

Heather

My 4th grader did it from September to November and finished it. She did go into it already completing Shurley English 1-3 so she was very prepared and most of it was just to show her how to diagram sentences because, much of the grammar was review. She is doing 2 chapters a week now of SE 5 because she wants to finish school in May,mind you this is my high acheiving child, my other 2 would NEVER do this:)

LOL. This is not my kids. They really don't like grammar. I know a lot of it would be review for us, too.

Honestly I'm not sure how you'd take 2 years for JAG. It's only a 10 week course in the first place. Many stretch it out over a year which makes it very easy and quick. I would start AG in the 6th grade personally so you can follow the 3 year plan, which makes it a priority for 10 - 12 weeks each year and then you are DONE for the year. Remember the AG people say you don't even need to do grammar until AG. They created JAG for parents who wanted something earlier. So either do JAG over a year and then start AG or just don't do grammar until AG.

Heather

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought.

How much time does AG take each day? It looks like it's pretty quick.

Hi Rhonda! Got your note... to answer...

RyLee is going through JAG in one year. She is in 6th. If for some reason she does not finish, we will finish it in 7th and move right into AG. W/ AG we will cover it in 3 years as directed.

My girls are 11 and 15 and Christian will finish AG in 2 years... next year she will complete it.

Daily work takes about 10 minutes?? We review the previous days work and I do a problem or 2 w/ her and then she is on her own. I say she but I mean they *Ü* W/ Jag and AG. Christian takes longer... 20 minutes? I honestly have not watched the time, but it doesn’t take to long.

We go over it, they finish it, I correct it, I actually discuss anything they missed... then also review concept the next day and refresh what was missed to make sure they got it.

I tried to respond last night to your message, but the board was down.... I hope this helps a bit...

Hi Rhonda! Got your note... to answer...

RyLee is going through JAG in one year. She is in 6th. If for some reason she does not finish, we will finish it in 7th and move right into AG. W/ AG we will cover it in 3 years as directed.

My girls are 11 and 15 and Christian will finish AG in 2 years... next year she will complete it.

Daily work takes about 10 minutes?? We review the previous days work and I do a problem or 2 w/ her and then she is on her own. I say she but I mean they *Ü* W/ Jag and AG. Christian takes longer... 20 minutes? I honestly have not watched the time, but it doesn’t take to long.

We go over it, they finish it, I correct it, I actually discuss anything they missed... then also review concept the next day and refresh what was missed to make sure they got it.

I tried to respond last night to your message, but the board was down.... I hope this helps a bit...

Yes, it does. Thank you, Lisa. It sounds like it would be a good fit for us.