Menu

Alex Rider fans...

I just finished Stormbreaker and enjoyed it, proof-reading it for my boys.

I really do not have time right now to read the entire series myself, but I know my guys will plow right through it.

Do the rest of the books in the series stay like this one, in that there is not really any objectionable content? Does he ever get a girlfriend or utter foul language, etc, or does the content remain pretty safe?

I am facing up to my 14yods reading adult content, but i don't want to just go totally indiscriminate, kwim? I appreciate your feedback.

In the second book, he sort of gets a girlfriend, but there isn't anything objectionable, IMO, except for a quick kiss. It is not dwelt upon.

There are notations of "Alex muttered a curse word", but I don't believe they every actually use a curse word in writing. I think, and I can't remember for sure, but there seemed to be one word that I edited but I can't remember for sure.

The other books do get a little more violent, but not graphically so. Just more intensity. If they are sensitive to that stuff, I might preview.

I have read the entire series, I'm on my second go round now, and I think Alex develops into a deeper character throughout the series. The last book, Snakehead is probably more emotional than the others.

As someone who likes to write it is interesting to see the development from the first book to the last. In the last book, I swear the author puts himself into character, it was very evident to me. I would suggest reading them as writing research. I blew through the entire series in about a week on my own. This is one of my most favorite books series.

I am doing them as a read aloud for with my ds right now, We are on Ark Angel. I have no qualms about reading them, but again, it's hard to set that standard for another family. But as far as adult content, I would say no, but some violence, yes.

My 12 yo ds has read the entire series. He says that Alex does get a girlfriend and there was mention of them kissing at some point. That was the extent of their physical relationship according to him. He doesn't remember any bad words.

Just typical spy stuff!

Hopefully you'll get more info from others just in case my son is not a totally reliable witness.

Cindy

Sounds safe to let the guys go on through the series. Like you, elegantlion, ds14 will probably make it through the whole shebang by next week! (By the way, I like your new self-portrait! Looks like you just came back from a relaxing week at the beach, with that glowing countenance!)

DS11 will probably like the book, too, though he won't get through it nearly as fast. I'll probably request the movie when they're through the books, just for fun. DS14 is also asking to read The Hunt for Red October, so now I'll have to skim all my Tom Clancy books and see which ones are suitable for him. I definitely remember that Without Remorse is a no-go -- I barely make it through that violent one myself, and I love Clancy -- but surely some will be okay.

DS14 has already finished the first book! I asked him how he liked it and his reply: "Well, it's sorta too good too be true, if you know what I mean.... It's like every boy's dream to do what this kid does!"