Menu

Any hockey mons? I have a question about equipment.

My son starts hockey lessons tomorrow. The rink loaned us the helmet, shoulder pads, elbow pads, shin guards, gloves, socks, skates, and a stick. What else does he need? What kind of pants and shirt is he supposed to wear? This is new to me. None of us know anything about hockey. TIA.

If you're trying to save money, you may want to check your area for a Play-it-Again Sports store. They sell used sporting goods and I've seen hockey pants in great condition as kids grow quickly! Also, I've seen practice jerseys for less than $10 at Big 5 Sporting Goods.

That's great that your rink loaned all that equipment to your son. One thing that wasn't mentioned that you'll need is a hockey equipment bag. Our sons have bags with wheels on them, because the equipment is quite heavy.

Another place for used equipment is during a swap meet. Ask your rink if they have a time that a swap meet will be occurring. Our rink has theirs in May.

My son starts hockey lessons tomorrow. The rink loaned us the helmet, shoulder pads, elbow pads, shin guards, gloves, socks, skates, and a stick. What else does he need? What kind of pants and shirt is he supposed to wear? This is new to me. None of us know anything about hockey. TIA.

I've never played hockey, but I'd imagine a little *cough* man protection might be in order ;)

Bill (a man)

I've never played hockey, but I'd imagine a little *cough* man protection might be in order ;)

Bill (a man)

Yes! My dh would second this.

And, BTW, hockey pants are also called "breezers" in case someone refers to them as such and you want to look informed.:D Did anyone say a mouthguard as well? Prevents concussions.

Soph ( a hockey player and mom)

After years of hockey, here's a quick summary:

He will need some under armour to wear beneath his equipment. Under armour pulls the sweat away from his body, and ensures his equipment does not rub against his skin. Over this, he will need to wear some protection - which you can get in shorts format, that will include the jock and garters/velcro which are used to hold up his hockey socks. This version is less cumbersome, and in the change room looks just like sports shorts. Then he needs a good pair of hockey pants, padded to protect his spine, tailbone, kidneys, thighs and hips. His pants should meet his shin pads, and fit high enough above his waist to protect his lower back.

Next come the shoulder pads, elbow pads and shin pads. Shoulder pads protect his collarbone, upper chest, back, upper arms, and shoulders. There is also extra lower-back protection as part of the pad or as an attachment. Some have removable rib and stomach guards, for flying puck protection. Hockey elbow pads are essential to protect against bone bruises and fractured elbows. The pads cover the elbows and arms just above and below the elbows. Shin pads are needed to protect his legs from the puck and sticks. The pads should fit over his kneecap to just above his skates. He will also need hockey gloves to protect his hands and wrists. The gloves can be short or meet his elbow pads, depending on his preference.

Get a new, certified helmet with full cage, and padding that is at least 5/8 inches thick. His helmet should fit snugly to prevent any movement and to maximize protection. They come in models that protect his ears, and have vents to keep him cool while playing. Also, make sure his chinstrap is adjusted so it gently rubs under his chin when snapped in place, to ensure his helmet stays on his head.

He cannot play hockey without a mouthguard or neckguard. You can get a personalized mouth guard fitted by a dentist who will make an impression of his teeth and then mold the mouth guard for a perfect match. Or you can get an off the rack kind at any sports goods store. The mouthguards means he gets to keep his pearly whites, but more importantly soften blows to the head and act to decrease the impact of concussions, or wayward pucks. The neckguard protects this throat from impact from pucks, skates and of course sticks.

He will also need hockey tape to wrap around his socks, which acts to keep them in place,... waxed laces for his skates, which will prevent breaking and make them easier to tie,... and stick tape in whatever style strikes his fancy, used to ensure his stick slides on the ice, and gives him a better grip.

Sticks can be wooden or composite. The wood sticks are heavier, and have less give...they are also less expensive. He should be fine with one of these. The composite sticks are light, far more flexible, more likely to break and can be really pricey...so probably better left till later on in his career! He will shoot either right or left, and thus will need a righty or lefty stick. The store will have him stand with his skates on and get the right measurement for the stick height. It can be cut down, if too big...or extended if he outgrows it and you don't want to buy a new one.

As for skates, find something comfortable, and have the store fit them so that they are heated and molded to his feet. He will need them sharpened, and should get a pair of skate guards...because beyond the ice and padded arena rooms, he cannot walk around in them, or the non-ice surfaces will dull and edge his skates. ...Almost forgot...he will need a skate rag - to wipe his skates after use, to prevent rusting of the blades.

Once he gets his jersey, and a wheeled hockey bag to carry all of his new equipment...he's ready to join the fun!

PS - later on you might want to invest in a hockey tree to air out his equipment between uses.

Edited by DSAcademy
endless equipment