Menu

For those who do math fact drill, when do you stop?

yvonne

I've been doing math fact drills with my 8 yo boys for about 2 years now, if you count the very beginning stage of +0, +1, +2 flash cards. They seem to have their addition, subtraction, and all but 4 of their multiplication facts to 12 down cold. Because they've got the mult. facts down, they do very well with the division facts, though we still work on those.

We've been doing R&S's flash cards and R&S's fact drill sheets orally four times a week pretty religiously. It only takes about 5 mins./child, so it's not a huge time sink & it's certainly been worth it. But now we're also doing one Horizons lesson and usually 1 Singapore wkbk/IP/CWP exercise/page a day, so they get practice there. Will we lose ground if I stop now?

(Hm. Seems such a trivial question, and I could just try it, but, having gone to the trouble of doing this, I don't want to lose it! And I know some people don't do drill at all, but I've found it has been extremely helpful for us in freeing the kids up to focus on the newest concept in a math lesson & not get bogged down in the mechanics.)

Thanks for any thoughts!

yvonne

We haven't reached the stopping point yet with my 4th grader, but we are close. We just cut back to three days a week this week and will continue to try to cut back for the remainder of the year. I would say when you stop depends on the child. I would try cutting back to two days a week. If that goes well, after a few weeks try cutting back to once a week, then every other week, etc. until you cut it out completely. HTH

What we did:

Through third grade: Calculadders.

Fourth grade: Times Tables the Fun Way, then Math War. (Each put out a number card. If he could quickly call out the product, he got the cards. If not, I did.)

Fifth grade: Every morning, first thing, he filled out a times table, then he could use it for math later in the day. When he didn't need a times table for math, he could stop filling them out in the morning.

Thanks, everyone!

Rebecca, that's what I'm finding, too, now that we've started long division---there's a lot of practice of math facts when they do long div. That's what was making me wonder if specific math drills were overkill at this point.

Given that they're getting a lot of practice with the long division problems in _both_ Singapore and Horizons, I think I'll cut the flashcards/oral drill sheets back to 2x/week for a while. But, first, we'll do a timed run through the facts in each of the 4 operations so I have an objective baseline. Then we'll retest monthly. If the times go up, we'll go back to flashcards daily.

Ah. It feels good to have a plan. I hate it when I churn and churn on something relatively trivial.

Thanks, again, for your thoughts, everyone!

yvonne

Math games 3 and 4 on http://www.helpme2learn.com. They have online subscriptions for 4 different courses $5.95/month. We are not ready for math games yet, but we have done all phonics including Phonics 3 reviews with great results before even started 1st grade. Highly recommend. What about http://www.bigmath.com and other associated with it sites? They have Math drill, it is not so much a game, but sure better than worksheets.