Menu

Slight odour near septic tank - should I panic?

We moved in a month ago. Without thinking about it, I've been using the washing machine an awful lot (all our clothes and bedding had been in storage for months, so they all smelled musty). I use a no-bleach, environmentally friendly washing powder, but I'm wondering if I have overwhelmed the system with too much water.

I put a call in to the pump-out company. If I get the tank emptied, should that solve the problem, or is the smell a more dire symptom?

Thanks

Laura (total septic tank novice)

We moved in a month ago. Without thinking about it, I've been using the washing machine an awful lot (all our clothes and bedding had been in storage for months, so they all smelled musty). I use a no-bleach, environmentally friendly washing powder, but I'm wondering if I have overwhelmed the system with too much water.

I put a call in to the pump-out company. If I get the tank emptied, should that solve the problem, or is the smell a more dire symptom?

Thanks

Laura (total septic tank novice)

It really depends on the type of system and it's age. The types of systems vary by region, at least in the USA. Different counties/states have differing enviromental standards based on geology. You should really speak with your neighbors about their systems. It wouldn't hurt to call a professional to get an assessment. Here a civil engineer designs the system based on state requirements/guidelines. Usually a bad smell is a bad sign, even with a lot of water usage via laundry. A pump-out will probably only solve the problem temporarily. Did you have the system tested prior to buying the property? Many mortage companies here require that the seller update the system prior to closing. You should check your real estate laws regarding disclosure, as well.

Sorry if this is more information than you were looking for.

Stacy

. . . but I'm wondering if I have overwhelmed the system with too much water.

Our new septic tank started backing up into the bathroom (the lowest drain in the house, apparently) about a month after we moved into the house. I could only roll my eyes when we called the guy out -- the one who installed it in the first place -- and he read me the riot act because the washer was draining into the septic tank. HELLO!!!! HE is the one who set it up that way.

We re-routed the water from the washing machine and that solved that problem.

There are so many variables depending on the construction of it and what your soil is like. You need a thorough inspection as well as a pump-out. And yes, you might ask the neighbors about any septic problems they've had.

My septic guy recommended that I not do more than ten loads of laundry a week with our size of tank. I average about 6-7, and we've never had a problem. We have it pumped and inspected every three years.

"Without thinking about it, I've been using the washing machine an awful lot..."

I would guess this might do it. Too much "grey water" can overwhelm some septic systems. (Check local building/health codes for re-routing your grey water.) Also, check to see when the tank was last pumped.

Good luck!

Cindy (who lived for awhile in a house over 200 years old, and smelled that special potty odor whenever the wind blew just right) :tongue_smilie:

I would ask someone local. No telling what the septic norm is in Scotland.

FWIW, Buffalo, NY smells like septic, specifically around the Sabers' Arena. No idea why, but it smelled like that every time I traveled there, for months on end, so I'm guessing the cause was benign.

That odor happens just before we need to get the tank pumped. Our system is aerobic (if you have sprinklers then you have an aerobic system) , and we also do ALOT of laundry also which does create a need to get the tank pumped more often (every 4 years). Anaerobic tanks often handle even less laundry.

Septic tanks are really not that complex, and it is probably just a pumping issue if nothing is backing up into your house (that could be a tree root issue or something). In the future you might try putting yeast down the toilet to encourage the bacteria and make sure that the laundry detergent does not contain phosphates. Many medicines can cause the bacteria to die also especially antibiotics and many chemotherapy drugs (obviously lol), because many meds 'come out' in small amounts and in some cases most of the meds are excreted.

We have owned a house with a septic tank for 8.5 years, and I really hate to move to the city where we have to pay for water in and out, ouch.