Menu

If you use/ used Core Knowledge materials, how do/did you like them?

LibraryLover

http://www.coreknowledge.org/bookstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=14

I haven't used it, but thought your question should be differentiated from the "Core Knowledge Books" some of us pick up at Goodwill and look through for "coverage" a few times a year.

That said, the above book isn't along the lines of ancients and biology in 1st grade, etc.

You might look on yahoo's groups to see if there is a cluster of users with brains to pick.

HTH

Hi! We've used Core Knowledge for about 3 years and simply love it. The book that you are talking about is, I think, the Core Knowledge Sequence -- that sounds like the only one I know which matches your description.

http://www.coreknowledge.org/bookstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_37&products_id=14&zenid=aececd34db3df7ac1cd3a94ec58e5545

Although I love CK, that particular book is rather dull -- it's a list, in outline form, of topics covered from year to year. There have been some posts on CK and a search of this site should turn them up. (Sorry not to have more detail now, but it is getting late for me.) My personal feeling would be that it might be better to skip the CK Sequence book for now and check out the What Your ... Grader Needs to Know series and also Books to Build On. Many, many libraries and bookstores have these, so you could check w/o buying -- also they are not expensive. And these are books that would be useful whether or not you decided to use CK.

The CK Teacher Handbooks are superb, but expensive -- you would want to be sure that you were going to do the program before buying these (IMO).

I'll be happy to try to answer any other questions you have tomorrow.

Thanks!

Hi! We've used Core Knowledge for about 3 years and simply love it. The book that you are talking about is, I think, the Core Knowledge Sequence -- that sounds like the only one I know which matches your description.

http://www.coreknowledge.org/bookstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_37&products_id=14&zenid=aececd34db3df7ac1cd3a94ec58e5545

Although I love CK, that particular book is rather dull -- it's a list, in outline form, of topics covered from year to year. There have been some posts on CK and a search of this site should turn them up. (Sorry not to have more detail now, but it is getting late for me.) My personal feeling would be that it might be better to skip the CK Sequence book for now and check out the What Your ... Grader Needs to Know series and also Books to Build On. Many, many libraries and bookstores have these, so you could check w/o buying -- also they are not expensive. And these are books that would be useful whether or not you decided to use CK.

The CK Teacher Handbooks are superb, but expensive -- you would want to be sure that you were going to do the program before buying these (IMO).

I'll be happy to try to answer any other questions you have tomorrow.

http://www.coreknowledge.org/bookstore/index.php?main_page=document_general_info&cPath=15&products_id=26

We used the Core Knowledge/Pearson Learning History & Geography and enjoyed them. My dh read to the girls nightly from these books and they liked the way they were written and the books are colorful. They have multiple grade levels.

How old are your girls? My 9 yr old likes the Kingfisher & Usbourne history books and I am always looking to expand our resources.

Laurie -- you are not missing anything, as far as I know. CK does not do workbooks (Preschool does have activity books), and CK is by no means open and go -- IMO, it requires a *lot* of parent prep. For me, this is a plus (!), but obviously that would not be the case for everyone.

You could read the Needs to Know books to your dc, but I think you'd be missing a lot if that was all you did. If you are looking for a resource (as you mentioned in your 1st post), I would get Books to Build On. It can be a resource for any curriculum -- it is a fantastic book. Other resource books I love are several by Rebecca Rupp -- BTW, my perspective is secular, if that makes a difference.

Edited by Alessandra

Laurie -- you are not missing anything, as far as I know. CK does not do workbooks (Preschool does have activity books), and CK is by no means open and go -- IMO, it requires a *lot* of parent prep. For me, this is a plus (!), but obviously that would not be the case for everyone.

You could read the Needs to Know books to your dc, but I think you'd be missing a lot if that was all you did. If you are looking for a resource (as you mentioned in your 1st post), I would get Books to Build On. It can be a resource for any curriculum -- it is a fantastic book. Other resource books I love are several by Rebecca Rupp -- BTW, my perspective is secular, if that makes a difference.

Oh, dd and I don't mind prep at all. We have done some SOTW for a few years. My dd is currently liking worksheets/forms and such, and she loves history.  We've used WYCNTK as well.

I'll do an ILL search for some of the titles later today.

How old are your girls? My 9 yr old likes the Kingfisher & Usbourne history books and I am always looking to expand our resources.

When mine did the 5th and 6th grade books they were between 8-10 so I would think your 9 yr old would enjoy them. :)