Menu

Primary Language Lessons (PLL) in public domain?

chanda7

My dd (2nd grade) is on lesson 80, and we love it. She regularly says that grammar is her favorite subject. We do much of it orally, and I skip the composition exercises, but she is learning a lot and, most importantly, is able to use it in her own writing and reading. I would have to say that it's a smashing success!

In fact, I am so inspired by it that I just might move on to ALL after we complete FLL 3 (and possibly 4). The later lessons in ALL look daunting, but I'm so impressed by it that I just might tackle it!

Tara

Just curious Tara, what you you suggest to use BEFORE Sheldon's PLL, for say, 1st grade? My daughter is about to "officially" start K this year. Just wondering what if anything I should be using in the way of grammar before 2nd grade or do you only worry about learning to read in K and 1st? Thanks!

My dd (2nd grade) is on lesson 80, and we love it. She regularly says that grammar is her favorite subject. We do much of it orally, and I skip the composition exercises, but she is learning a lot and, most importantly, is able to use it in her own writing and reading. I would have to say that it's a smashing success!

In fact, I am so inspired by it that I just might move on to ALL after we complete FLL 3 (and possibly 4). The later lessons in ALL look daunting, but I'm so impressed by it that I just might tackle it!

Tara

Thanks for this update, I like the look of these!

Just curious Tara, what you you suggest to use BEFORE Sheldon's PLL, for say, 1st grade?

I didn't use anything. I wasn't even going to use anything for second grade (I was going to wait and start FLL3 in 3rd), but I got so excited about Sheldon's PLL that we started using it in 2nd. :D

Tara

Tara- would you recommend using FLL 1 starting in 1st and then moving on to PLL?

I couldn't say. I haven't used FLL. :)

I guess, were I pressed, I would say don't worry about FLL 1 if you have a language-oriented kid. My dd had no grammar experience before PLL and has done just fine. I did, however, borrow FLL from a friend of mine and copy the definitions of the parts of speech from that book (did I just admit to violating a copyright? Are TWTM police going to come haul me off too copyrighter's prison?). I liked the language of FLL's definitions better than PLL's (FLL's are more modern). When we have encountered a part of speech in PLL, I have had dd write the FLL definition on an index card and memorize it. Then I mix the card in with our regular memory work review.

My ds is not language oriented. I have not done any grammar with him in 1st grade (he has struggled enough with reading and writing and not tackling his sister to the ground at every opportunity). In second grade I plan to start FLL 1 and go as quickly as we can. When we finish it, I will make a determination as to whether to do a year of PLL and then go into FLL 3 or just go straight into FLL 3. Imo (which is worth very little, as I am no expert), a non-language-oriented kid will find PLL far more challenging (and without enough review).

So there's my long answer to a question I really couldn't answer for you. ;)

Tara

I couldn't say. I haven't used FLL. :)

I guess, were I pressed, I would say don't worry about FLL 1 if you have a language-oriented kid. My dd had no grammar experience before PLL and has done just fine. I did, however, borrow FLL from a friend of mine and copy the definitions of the parts of speech from that book (did I just admit to violating a copyright? Are TWTM police going to come haul me off too copyrighter's prison?). I liked the language of FLL's definitions better than PLL's (FLL's are more modern). When we have encountered a part of speech in PLL, I have had dd write the FLL definition on an index card and memorize it. Then I mix the card in with our regular memory work review.

My ds is not language oriented. I have not done any grammar with him in 1st grade (he has struggled enough with reading and writing and not tackling his sister to the ground at every opportunity). In second grade I plan to start FLL 1 and go as quickly as we can. When we finish it, I will make a determination as to whether to do a year of PLL and then go into FLL 3 or just go straight into FLL 3. Imo (which is worth very little, as I am no expert), a non-language-oriented kid will find PLL far more challenging (and without enough review).

So there's my long answer to a question I really couldn't answer for you. ;)

Tara

Thanks for trying!

Tara

we're thinking of tackling ALL next year. It's either that or GWG (two very different options, I realize!)

Came back for a year later review. I switched to Rod and Staff 3 after using Sheldon for grade 2. I will say I think it made working through Rod and Staff much easier because we understood the parts of speech (it actually felt like one big review). The biggest difference between R&S and Sheldon I have found is:

There is dictation work in Sheldon.

Diagramming is done in R&S, there was none in Sheldon.

If you want something more secular, I would choose Sheldon and then (if you know how) diagram those sentences.