Menu

Along the lines of Nan's post about 13 year olds...

First, thanks!

My 13 year old has grown by leaps and bounds in several areas after we joined our local debate group (NCFCA affiliated)...I can't even recall if my school had a debate team or club...I was editor of the high school newspaper, heavily involved in band, loaded with classes but really had no clue what debate was about other than the PBS station on Saturday mornings that held some local debates (although these were not really debates but quiz bowls)...

I attended the national tournaments in B'ham this year and was floored at the presence and organization of thoughts expressed by these kids in speech and debate...so I signed my son up...

In 4 months, he has learned how to research and cite evidence on the internet....he has learned his way around his own email account....he has improved his ability to organize his thoughts and logically form questions and answers on the spot...and he's learning more about foreign relations (this year's topic is policy towards India)...he loves it and I'm loving watching him take this on and how it is improving all aspects of our homeschooling, his confidence is up, he's more willing to openly discuss books/assignments/goals..etc.

So, if you have debate in your area...please give it a shot...it's not for everyone, but I am so encouraged by the club we're in....the kids who have been in it for a few years are outstanding leaders for the younger kids...

HTH!!

Tara

So, if you have debate in your area...please give it a shot...it's not for everyone, but I am so encouraged by the club we're in....the kids who have been in it for a few years are outstanding leaders for the younger kids...

HTH!!

Tara

Tara, I have looked for a debate group for my kids -- for the very reasons you mention. Unfortunately the closest active group is an hour drive from my house :(

Depending upon where you live, you may be able to compete with the National Forensics League Teams (public/private schools) or with the Catholic Forensics League. In some areas, homeschoolers can work under the umbrella of another local school. Or, you can form your own co-op team and compete locally as well.

The National Forensics League offers its members (anyone can join), FREE training videos, plus I believe they also have some resources on-line.

For help with getting started in NCFCA, I'd reccomend contacting Chris Jeub. Tell him Lisa Kanak (he SHOULD remember me! -- but if you need to jog his memory, you could mention that I foounded Arkansas Homeschool Debate and founded the Fredericksburg, VA Homeschool Debate team, and served on the original NCFCA board with him...)

To bring a bit of debate into your homeschool world, in addition to Chris Jeub's book and materials, you can get the lectures by Zarefsky from TTC -- there is also a decent book (Strategic Debate) published by the National Textbook Company (by Wood & Goonight) which is a good introductory text for high school students.

Where there is a will, there is a way!

I'm still 3 years away from re-entering the speech and debate world with my family (I took a leave of absence 5 years ago, as it became too much for me to juggle everything). I haven't decided whether we'll go the CFL route or the NCFCA route yet... but we'll be doing SOMETHING!:D

Hi Tara,

We are seriously eyeing the National Open in Trussville this year. If we go, maybe we can schedule a WTM meetup since I believe there are several others involved with NCFCA.

We've been involved with debate and speech for 5 years. At our practice tournament just 2 days ago, I looked around the room at all the teens in suits and thought of what most American teens are up to these days. I'm so appreciative of the opportunity for my dc.

Is your ds doing LD or TP this year?

Lisa

I absolutely love how much debate has taught my son. He has gained so much self confidence. He was so shy, he hated to even order for himself at a fast food restaurant. Now, he is very confident in talking to others. Plus, the amount of research he has learned is amazing.

We are seriously considering the Alabama Nat. Open too. It would be fun to WTM get together!

That would be WONDERFUL to have a WTM meet up in Trussville!! My son is in Meridian this week at his first official tournament doing team debate..he's so very excited!! My husband took him to this one (thought it would be good for father/son to do something together without all the girls!)..I would love to meet up with you all and have a night out or during breaks talk curricula and fun stuff!! My oldest is just starting 8th grade so I have so many questions on high school! :)

I think our group is considering leaving NCFCA so I'm thinking it might be that CFL mentioned?? Our group mentor is a phenomenal person and she wants debate to be focused on increasing their skills to be more effective communicators for Christ...she's an amazing mentor for our kids!! But, for this year at least we are still in NCFCA....I know of communities where there are only 2 families doing debate but they still do it!! So, anyone interested can get started! Our mentor is helping a city in Louisiana (8 hours away!) start their club...so it can be done!!

TTYS!

Tara