Menu

Questions about timelines

Parrothead

We start 5th grade next year. I'm starting to get my ducks in a row so I can start ordering things about Februaryish. One thing that I'm looking at is the Homeschool in the Woods timeline book and figures. Man, are they expensive or what?

Is there anything out there comparable for less $$$?

Then I'm thinking if I go with the premade figures is that defeating the purpose of a timeline? Is a timeline really a good thing if half the work is done for you? Would it be better to just write the names, dates, places, etc. in by hand? Are the figures really necessary? Do they add to the learning experience.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

I have "Learning Through History's" Timeline. I have bought the magazines for 2 yrs +, too.

Carrie:-)

They have sticker figures! Wow, no cutting out.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered three magazines. If I like the quality of the magazines, I'll probably order their timeline materials.

Thanks again.

Chucki,

We did a very simple timeline for first grade, a homemade book timeline for second, and a timeline with no pictures for 9th and 10th grade.

Our first grade timeline just had Homeschool in the Woods figures placed in order by date--just on a line across the wall. It gave us a sense of the order. But there was no retention, and it was practically useless. Plus, my dd at that stage did not want to color the figures.

The next year, we used Yahoo Images and got pictures straight from the web. This worked very, very well. She was able to pick from a wide range of pictures, they were colorful and inviting, and she really enjoyed putting them in her book (just pages of large construction paper--12X18, I think--bound horizontally with 3 metal rings--about 100 years on each page--it was our Medieval/Ren year).

We will do the same next year. Beside each figure, we wrote in a date and a blurb or small description.

Just wanted to tell you there are cheap, effective options out there.

I use card stock, a black sharpie and google images. I pick the images and at this point I pick the pics because well, you sometimes have to censor google images. I print them out, he cuts them out and we write the dates and names on the page.

I haven't tried yahoo images.

My son is not a big fan of the timeline, and I couldn't justify the cost of preprinted figures for us.