Menu

Latin for Children - Updated vs. older versio

kbpaulie

I am considering purchasing Latin for Children A. I know that it's been updated, but am not sure when or what they've updated.

* Can someone tell me more?

* Is it worth buying an updated version or buying an older used copy?

* Have the other levels also been updated?

Thanks-

KB

The update takes care of typos which is immensely helpful if you don't know Latin. Also there has been some variety added to the translation practice, not as many 1st person singular sentences, and there are changes here and there in the teaching of the grammar, just simplification. Also updated was the video and audio for Primer A. The updated audio includes the chapter maxim and grammar paradigms. I believe Primer B video and audio are being updated too and will be available for the 2009-2010 school year. I would get the updated if at all possible.

I ordered LFC A last year, not from CAP, and ended up with the updated books, but the unrevised DVDs. We didn't start the program for months and then it was weeks before I realized I had the older version. We just finished week 16 and there are a few subtle differences between the new book and the old DVDs, but it still very workable.

I highly recommend the DVDs, I would have been lost without them.

• 2 months later...

Is it true that the new DVDs were recorded in a classroom rather than in his kitchen? If so, that would bum me out because I rather liked the feel of "school in the kitchen."

Maybe I can find the new DVDs used someplace because I really can't see paying full price for new ones when I already own the old ones (unless they no longer work well with the updated books, in which case....)

...... because I really can't see paying full price for new ones when I already own the old ones (unless they no longer work well with the updated books, in which case....)

You may ask if there's a price to update to the new ones. Sometimes companies will allow you to send back material with a certain amount of $$$ and upgrade.

Carrie:-)

Is it true that the new DVDs were recorded in a classroom rather than in his kitchen? If so, that would bum me out because I rather liked the feel of "school in the kitchen."

Maybe I can find the new DVDs used someplace because I really can't see paying full price for new ones when I already own the old ones (unless they no longer work well with the updated books, in which case....)

Did you order your original set through Classical Academic Pres? I did, and they sent me the updated versions free of charge. I'd call and ask.

Yes, in the newer DVDs it's just Dr. Perrin explaining the lecture at a whiteboard (for the grammar part of the lesson). At the beginning, his daughter leads a group of kids in chanting the vocabulary/chapter maxim. There's usually a short, silly clip after each chapter.

If you do want to trade in your old DVDs, contact CAP. I did, and they sent me a new set in return for my old ones. :)

The update takes care of typos which is immensely helpful if you don't know Latin. Also there has been some variety added to the translation practice, not as many 1st person singular sentences, and there are changes here and there in the teaching of the grammar, just simplification. Also updated was the video and audio for Primer A. The updated audio includes the chapter maxim and grammar paradigms. I believe Primer B video and audio are being updated too and will be available for the 2009-2010 school year. I would get the updated if at all possible.

Karen, do you know if the LFC A set will change at all by fall? Do you recommend everything (including the history reader and activity book)?

Also, do you know if LA! 2 is on-schedule for fall? What about DVDs?

Karen, do you know if the LFC A set will change at all by fall? Do you recommend everything (including the history reader and activity book)?

Also, do you know if LA! 2 is on-schedule for fall? What about DVDs?

I saw you asked these questions over at the CAP forum. I'm not sure about LFC-A, apparently it needs updating from what I can tell via the forum. I asked Karen Moore earlier in the year about the the DVDs for LA! She said the DVDs for LA!1 will be available this year, they were supposed to be filmed in December. They might even release the DVDs for LA!2 this fall, Karen was hopeful that they could be filmed this summer. I haven't asked since the beginning of December and I'm not sure how all that stands now that we are in March.

My oldest didn't like the activity books, but middle son did, I think if your child likes puzzles it's fun. I don't think it's necessary and I'm not convinced it helps all that much with Latin studies overall. I do like the history reader and recommend purchasing it.

Karen