Menu

my dishwasher door won't latch closed

Okay, so in my bathmat thread, I picked on male dna not being able to work a dishwasher door. Well, fate is getting me, because now my door won't latch.

I went to go start the dishwasher. Put the soap in and closed the soap lid. I closed the door and turned the knob. But after turning I realized the door didn't feel right so I opened it again. I re-adjusted a spatula which was turned sideways (but I don't know if that was the problem or not), but now it just won't close tight. It has to be in that lock position for it to turn on, but it won't lock closed. I can't get the top latch to release so it will catch on the thing it's supposed to lock onto. I've tried spinning the knob all the way around to get it to reset, but that didn't do anything either.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

11 am on New Year's Eve. On a normal day they'd be here within an hour or two to fix it. But not today. I'm guessing no dishwasher till next Monday unless someone can come up with a good suggestion.

Thanks.

Ugh. No help, just btdt. My testosterone ridden ds slammed it for the last time in July. We've been washing by hand ever since. We started Dave Ramsey and are on target to buy a new one in January. I do think the door was bent when we bought it as a scratch and dent. But the constant "percussive maintenance" by my kids did it in.

Sorry you're in a jam!

Ooooh, nooooo. Bad dishwasher juju. Not good.

I don't know how yours latches - mine has a little metal tongue that slides into a lock on the door and flips a little plastic doohickey. Could there be some sort of funk in the doohickey that is keeping it stuck in the open position? or is the doohickey already flipped to the latched position? Can you stick your finger in there and wiggle the parts around?

I do that with car doors sometimes, for the same reason - the handle gets pulled just a bit when the door is open so the little doohickey (I'm sure that's the technical term) flips to the already latched position and the door just bounces back open.

I don't know how yours latches - mine has a little metal tongue that slides into a lock on the door and flips a little plastic doohickey. Could there be some sort of funk in the doohickey that is keeping it stuck in the open position? or is the doohickey already flipped to the latched position? Can you stick your finger in there and wiggle the parts around? .

We just had to replace the latch that the little doohickey goes into and it cost about $10 or so (online). We had no dishwasher for 1 year and all it took was a $10 part. Now we are so used to washing by hand that we keep doing it.

I don't know how yours latches - mine has a little metal tongue that slides into a lock on the door and flips a little plastic doohickey. Could there be some sort of funk in the doohickey that is keeping it stuck in the open position? or is the doohickey already flipped to the latched position? Can you stick your finger in there and wiggle the parts around?

I do that with car doors sometimes, for the same reason - the handle gets pulled just a bit when the door is open so the little doohickey (I'm sure that's the technical term) flips to the already latched position and the door just bounces back open.

Yup, I think we have similiar doohickies. But it's the doohicky that is stuck down. It won't pop up enough to let the metal tongue thing slide in and there is no way to wiggle it.

I called housing. If I'm really lucky they'll call me today. If not then Saturday or Sunday I guess.

If it was christmas eve or even christmas day they'd just come out and fix it because those are American holidays, so the Japanese still work. But, well, New Year is sort of international I guess! Not a big deal I guess. We had a party on christmas eve, so that day was tons of dishes and a mess. Tonight we don't have any plans. So at least it wasn't christmas eve!

We just had to replace the latch that the little doohickey goes into and it cost about $10 or so (online). We had no dishwasher for 1 year and all it took was a $10 part. Now we are so used to washing by hand that we keep doing it.

Don't you just hate that? My really good, but old, but still REALLY good vacume needed a new belt. It was a $350 vacume with incredible suckage but my mom bought it around '85- '86. Around 2000 is when it needed the belt. My brother was living with us. In an attempt to do something nice, he went out and bought me a $79 dirt devil. Oh and even got rid of that "old vacume of mom's that doesn't work anymore."

Great. Thanks. Could have fixed it myself for less than $5 I think. Could have taken it to the vacume guy for $25. But my brother lives in the world of new is always better than old and repaired. And he was trying to do something nice. I kept telling myself that. Still telling myself that actually.