Menu

GTG and FIAR

We haven't used it, so FWIW: I think you can use the FIAR books from different areas around the world as you study the different countries in GTG. I assume it takes about the same time or maybe just a little longer than FIAR. (Around here, FIAR takes maybe 30 minutes, including the story.)

I don't know if you've been to this site already or not but if you go to:

http://www.homeschoolshare.com and click on Five In a Row and then click on General Resources, there is a document that matches the titles from Five in a Row with Galloping the Globe.

If you have additional questions, I would contact the ladies at homeschoolshare to see if they can put you in touch with the woman who assembled the document. I have found the people at homeschoolshare to be very helpful and encouraging.

I have not used Galloping the Globe but have used Before Five In a Row and Five in a Row. We love geography here so, as we learned about continents, we read the FIAR books that took place on that continent. Of course we also used a lot of supplemental books and read the great FIAR books that are not necessarily easy to place on a map.

Hope this helps.

GTG actually includes a lot of the FIAR books on its booklist. If you're doing GTG, then you can just pull the listed FIAR book for the lesson where it shows up and "row" it simultaneous with the GTG lesson.

Another way to combine them is just the opposite... use FIAR for your core lessons and then pull in geography and other ideas from the GTG manual when you get to FIAR lessons in those locations.

Make sense? Or too confusing?

Once you have both manuals in your hands, it's easier to see what I mean.

GTG actually includes a lot of the FIAR books on its booklist. If you're doing GTG, then you can just pull the listed FIAR book for the lesson where it shows up and "row" it simultaneous with the GTG lesson.

We did this...

I don't know if you've been to this site already or not but if you go to:

http://www.homeschoolshare.com and click on Five In a Row and then click on General Resources, there is a document that matches the titles from Five in a Row with Galloping the Globe.

..and now I REALLY wish I'd known about THIS :banghead: I had no idea that resource existed! Ah well, I'll file it away for our next Kindergarten session in two years. Thanks for posting it :D

And yes, we combined the two and really enjoyed the work. I highly recommend it.