Menu

CLE math question

littlebug42

I am considering switching math programs from horizons to CLE but I have a question. Is there religious content in the math books? I looked at the samples available on the yahoo group but I cannot tell about the whole book. I know some publishers do include religious content even in the math books so I wanted to ask. I am specifically looking at 1st and 3rd grade programs.

Also, I have seen reference to a free unit request that some have mentioned but I have not seen reference to this on the CLE website. Does anyone know how to get this? Thanks for the information.

Jenni

Yes, there is religious content, more subtle than A Beka or BJUP, but there are word problems about missionaries, going to church, reading the Bible at home, etc. I would say that it's more of a "Christian lifestyle" emphasis.

You need to call them directly to get a free unit to look at. They may be charging a small fee for this now, but you can discuss that when you call.

There is some but its not preachy. If that makes any sense. Like for example you may see something like:

The Bible tells us about a little boy that went to see Jesus. He took along a lunch of five small barley loaves and two small fish. How many pieces of fish did the little boy have in his lunch.

But they are few and far between. Most light units will have one or maybe two like that and the rest are more like:

Brenda was making seed pictures. She glued six mustard seeds and eight cucumber seens on her paper in the shape of a sunflower. How many seeds did Brenda use?

Most of them are regular word problems.

Remember that CLE is a Christian curriculum so they are going to have to put something Christian in their curriculum. But for the most part I feel its really doable even if you aren't Christian to use.