Menu

MotivatedMoms 12/28-1/3

Good point Mommaduck! I print the MotivatedMoms list and put it on the kitchen wall, so I'm reminded whenever I walk through there.

So far today I've:

made the bed

cleaned out the cat box

load/run/empty dishwasher

clean kitchen sink

clear/wipe kitchen counter

wipe out bathroom sink

empty trash

take vitamins

clean top shelf of refrigerator (from yesterday)

change dishcloth

change bathroom hand towel

That's great phathui5!

Let's see, today I've:

--made my bed

--done the sink full of odds and ends dishes from our brief time at home yesterday (too pooped last night)

--cleared/wiped kitchen counters

--wiped out the bathroom sinks

--taken my vitamins (I'm so glad that's on there! I think I may have taken them 2x a day sometimes--and then I'd go for loong stretches where I wouldn't take any.)

--cleaned the microwave, inside and out. (That's a happy occasion--opening it to put in my cofee and seeing it all white and sparkly in there!)

--de-cluttered/organized the top of dressers in Master bedroom (atually I did this yesterday when I dusted them)

--cleaned phone

don't have a dishwasher, don't do coupons.

I'm going back to my Mom's today so she can get some rest, so we'll see if I get to mopping the kitchen floor. Even if I don't, I'm very pleased with this sytem so far--it's nuts how much joy a made up bed can give me!:lol:

Edited by Alana in Canada

Those who say you've used this before, how do you think it compares to doing Fly Lady or any other system? What is it you like about Motivated Moms? Does it work well for someone who is fairly neat, but, um, extremely absent-minded and highly distractable?

You know... I did Flylady first, and I think that really helped me to be successful with MM. I had already decluttered a TON before even starting MM. So doing things like wiping down the bathroom sinks, or cleaning the kitchen counters, and organizing closets was not as painful as it would have been without Flylady first.

Flylady has helped me to discard things I don't LOVE. My mother insists on giving me very cute but very cluttery things all the time! And I have finally let go of the guilt and can toss them into the Salvation Army bin almost as soon as they enter my home.

Decluttered surfaces are a snap to clean, and the Motivated Moms planner takes care of reminding me to do that on a regular basis. Flylady did too, but the email reminders got to be too much.

The main thing I like about MM vs. Flylady is the format. I can see at a glance what needs to be done during the week, and so can the kids. I keep the weekly planner on the fridge where we just can't miss it!

I was just thinking this today, too:

I did Flylady first, and I think that really helped me to be successful with MM. I had already decluttered a TON before even starting MM. So doing things like wiping down the bathroom sinks, or cleaning the kitchen counters, and organizing closets was not as painful as it would have been without Flylady first.

I always be grateful to flylady for helping me in those years when the kids were younger. She really was God-sent--for me, that was in about 2001. I don't think there was a whole lot out there back then.

But, hey, has anybody seen my dustpan?

I can't find it anywhere!

Edited by Alana in Canada

I've checked off most things that apply to us on the specific days. There were a couple that we simply said "not so much", like cleaning the outside trash cans when it's 27 degrees and we have 60 mph winds. I did rescue them from blowing away, but I'm feeling just fine about that being the extent of my outside trash can involvement for the day.

The daily tasks have been a little less productive - I haven't swept the entryway at all, though I sweep the kitchen pretty obsessively because that's the door we use primarily. On the other hand, there are things that we don't actually forget to do that I haven't checked off - have to develop that habit - like feeding the pets, or making the bed. I also added "set up coffee" as a daily task and that seems to be happening, which is nice because I always want to have the coffee on autopilot, but...

I should put "fill humidifiers" on there, too. A couple of nights ago, I decided I was too tired to schlep the 20 feet down the hall and fill it and paid for my sloth with a raging headache all day.

All in all, I feel like I'm getting back to a good routine, like the one I had a couple of years ago. It feels good.

For next week, I plan to add a few decluttering tasks throughout the week.

Thanks to the OP for posting this. I got mine yesterday and gonna play catch-up today. How do you all handle chores on the list that the kiddos do? I was thinking of color-coding the little boxes with highlighters. I'll have to do this each week, but for me I have to know at a glance what I REALLY need to do vs. checking each day whether it was someone's chore.

Thanks again,

Kimm in WA

I love using highlighters!

This week was easy-peasy--and I still didn't get everything done! (But, believe me, I am NOT wasting any time beating myself up. I am very happy with what I accomplished since starting Tuesday!) But, next week, we go back to school! And my 12 month old nephew will be joining us in the morning.

I can tell that this Monday's list is going to be too heavy for us this Monday. Do you think I should do some today? (We have no plans). Tuesday we'll be out most of the day.

Any advice about how to cope with everything?

This week went very well for us. I got all the boxes checked that applied to us. My real test will be next week when we add school in plus dance, Cub Scouts, piano, and co-op!! I am hoping I will learn to use my time wisely!:)

Yes, that is definitely the real test. I think it's doable but I may have to move the boxes around during the week.

I love using highlighters!

This week was easy-peasy--and I still didn't get everything done! (But, believe me, I am NOT wasting any time beating myself up. I am very happy with what I accomplished since starting Tuesday!) But, next week, we go back to school! And my 12 month old nephew will be joining us in the morning.

I can tell that this Monday's list is going to be too heavy for us this Monday. Do you think I should do some today? (We have no plans). Tuesday we'll be out most of the day.

Any advice about how to cope with everything?

I love highlighters, too. Something about that right-brained color coding...

(FWIW, I just look at the list and tell them they get to do "x, y and q" and then they go fight about it. My four year olds are VERY envious of the seven year old who got to clean the toilets. They have, in fact, been talking about it all week. And my stairs have never been cleaner because sweeping them has become an "activity" for the kids... I heard them start when they got out of bed this morning. :001_huh:)

I don't know what to tell you about Monday/Tuesday. I am finding that, if I have to go out during the day, pretty much nothing gets done. Since I firmly believe in acknowledging and embracing my shortcomings, I'll probably end up splitting the tasks from "out" days among the other week days and just hit the daily items on those days. I think the dailies and things like changing the towels can be done mostly in 30 minutes in the morning and another 30 in the evening.

(OH! Rock on! My husband just brought in my order from Mountian Rose Herbs! Yippee! )

Well, since I've got the momentum, I decided to tackle some of Monday's tasks. Cleaning the middle shelf of the fridge was a snap, as was cleaning the toilets. Now I think I'll vaccuum the furniture and the stairs and call it a good cleaning day.

I started late and am trying to finish up the entire week so I'm at a good starting point. I suspect that I'll be moving weekly things to the weekend, too. And if a weekend is especially busy we can just start on Monday, although my Monday's are bears.