Menu

Highschool Science Alternatives

Posted (edited)

For a child who has no plans to go to college is it a bad idea to not do the traditional highschool full year courses of chemistry, biology, physics? He already has a credit for Physical  Science. My thoughts to replace it are to have him do a very light course in Chemistry and Physics to learn the basics- for example about a 1/2 credit worth of each, possibly a full year of Biology, and use the remaining time to due more interest based subjects such as an electronic course, animal health, small engine maintenance etc. Would there be any negatives to this? Could these count as science credits? 

Edited by pianomom6

The half credit each is usually called Physical Science. I know people who have done Physical science and Biology as their high school sciences. One even went on to college. I wouldn’t do less than that, though. Animal health could count as a science and electronics. I’ve never seen small engine maintenance as one, but if you have physical and bio it wouldn’t matter. 

• Like 3

Keep in mind that you have a lot of flexibility about what to teach and how to assess within those standard names.  

For chemistry, my younger son did 1/2 a year of standard chemistry like you are talking about but then did a deep dive into microplastics and wrote a detailed research papers on the chemistry of how they break down in different environments.  He also did a deep dive into the difference between soap and detergent with a research paper. This class counted as a full chemistry class.

I think sometime a kid can be more excited about learning the basics when they are within a topic relevant to them. The work on microplastics required my younger boy to really get into organic chemistry. He was motivated because he really wanted to understand the science behind this environmental issue. He never took tests or memorized stuff. He didn't do experiments. But this way of learning served him very well in college, and he had no trouble with university chemistry.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, pianomom6 said:

For a child who has no plans to go to college is it a bad idea to not do the traditional highschool full year courses of chemistry, biology, physics? My thoughts to replace it are to have him do a very light course in Chemistry and Physics to learn the basics- for example about a 1/2 credit worth of each, possibly a full year of Biology, and use the remaining time to due more interest based subjects such as an electronic course, animal health, small engine maintenance etc. Would there be any negatives to this? Could these count as science credits? 

Yes a 1-credit course in "Physical Science" (or "Integrated Science") is 1/2 each of Chemistry and Physics. That is perfectly acceptable. And if not interested in a regular Biology course, lots of people have adapted their Biology (life sciences) to study an area or areas of more interest than what the traditional high school textbooks cover. (Much like what @lewelma described about her DS's non-standard Chemistry credit.)

re: college
Many colleges are very flexible about the Science credits; some do require biology and/or chemistry, but some have no requirements. So as long as you do high school level work and some labs in sciences besides the "traditional 3" (biology, chemistry, physics), you'll be covered even if future plans about college change.

Also -- if a student is not headed into a STEM field, many colleges only require 2-3 Science credits for admission. Do make sure that you do labs with the science credits, as pretty much all colleges want at least 2 Science credits with labs.

Counting interest-based courses as Science:
- Electronics and Small Engine Maintenance are Electives (specifically vocational-technical), not Science credits
- yes, Animal Health could be used towards a Science credit -- maybe as part of an overall Zoology credit?

Other Science ideas:
(see specific resources for some of these on PAGE 5 of the big pinned thread above: "High School Motherlode #2")

Agriculture
Anatomy/Physiology (human body)
Aquaculture
Astronomy
Botany/Horticulture (plant sciences)
Ecology
Entomology (bug science)
Environmental Science
Equine (horse) Science
Exercise and Sport Physiology
Foresenics
Forestry
Geology/Earth Science
Geophysics
Genetics
Hydrology
Kinesiology
Marine Biology
Meteorology (weather)
Nutrition
Oceanography
Optical Sciences (optics and lasers)
Ornithology (bird science)
Paleontology
Soil Science
Wildlife and Fishery Science
Zoology (animals)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, freesia said:

The half credit each is usually called Physical Science. I know people who have done Physical science and Biology as their high school sciences. One even went on to college. I wouldn’t do less than that, though. Animal health could count as a science and electronics. I’ve never seen small engine maintenance as one, but if you have physical and bio it wouldn’t matter. 

Thanks! I should've added that he did a credit of Physical Science already as well.

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

Yes a 1-credit course in "Physical Science" (or "Integrated Science") is 1/2 each of Chemistry and Physics. That is perfectly acceptable. And if not interested in a regular Biology course, lots of people have adapted their Biology (life sciences) to study an area or areas of more interest than what the traditional high school textbooks cover. (Much like what @lewelma described about her DS's non-standard Chemistry credit.)

re: college
Many colleges are very flexible about the Science credits; some do require biology and/or chemistry, but some have no requirements. So as long as you do high school level work and some labs in sciences besides the "traditional 3" (biology, chemistry, physics), you'll be covered even if future plans about college change.

Also -- if a student is not headed into a STEM field, many colleges only require 2-3 Science credits for admission. Do make sure that you do labs with the science credits, as pretty much all colleges want at least 2 Science credits with labs.

Counting interest-based courses as Science:
- Electronics and Small Engine Maintenance are Electives (specifically vocational-technical), not Science credits
- yes, Animal Health could be used towards a Science credit -- maybe as part of an overall Zoology credit?

Other Science ideas:
(see specific resources for some of these on PAGE 5 of the big pinned thread above: "High School Motherlode #2")

Agriculture
Anatomy/Physiology (human body)
Aquaculture
Astronomy
Botany/Horticulture (plant sciences)
Ecology
Entomology (bug science)
Environmental Science
Equine (horse) Science
Exercise and Sport Physiology
Foresenics
Forestry