Menu

anyone do ASL for high school credit?

Hello Cathmom,

I have no personal experience (other than an interest in deaf culture and sign language); however, I found a few things of interest by searching this site and Googling.

Here's a post from the K-8 board that has some possible leads

And some titles of interest from Gallaudet University Press:

Come Sign With Us: Sign Language Activities for Children by Jan C. Hafer and Robert M. Wilson

and

Intermediate Conversational Sign Language by Willard J. Madsen

and

about teaching ASL as a second language, Learning to See: American Sign Language as a Second Language by Sherman Wilcox and Phyllis Perrin Wilcox

Regards,

Kareni

My daughter does. Currently she is using the lessons at www.lifeprint.com. We have the cds that she does the tests from. She is also doing an overview this year of various learning disabilities/special needs along with volunteering at a horse therapy place each week working with various disabilities. She happens to have a little sister with DS (age 4) so she also gets hands on teaching experience. Her and I are considering taking the CC class together prior to graduation, but not hearing great things about the class so may try and find something else.

T

Yep. Here's what we did. We started out on our own - tedious and difficult. Then my dd went to a church that was giving free signing lesons for those who wanted to interpret. She did that class maybe 2 months. We also hired a deaf translator to teach a high school class at co-op. My dd became involved in a deaf Bible Study and met another group of college age kids that were deaf (there is a school and a translator program in our city). Once she started conversing IRL her skills just took off. I would recommend finding a community to be part of, or at least a translator. It's almost impossible to really get the language and fluency without having someone to practice with. Also, signs in the books are quickly outdated as it is a language- constantly evolving.

Both of my older dd's know ASL and we all know rudimentary signs (which comes in handy in various circumstances). My oldest has had several opportunities to meet those from other cultures who are deaf as well.

It is a satistying skill to master.

Well, there's deaf and there's Deaf. Capital D Deaf are those who have a Deaf identity and belong to the Deaf community. Little d deaf are people who have hearing losses and don't mind being referred to as hearing impaired because it is a disability not a cultural thing.

Never go in saying you (you hearing person you) want to teach sign! The Deaf don't like that. It's a Deaf person's job. Mind you, most teacher of the deaf jobs over here are designed for hearing people since they want someone to interpret. Teaching, even using a signed language instead of spoken, and interpreting are two very different things.

Anyway, it is fun to learn (make sure you do learn grammar though or your signing will look ugly) and definitely comes in handy, even if you don't know any deaf people.

:)

Rosie