Menu

Our Christmas Miracle!!

We had an amazing Christmas day...perfect in every way....We had dinner at our house with my side of the family and I set the table up and each person had a notecard on their plate with a scripture from the story of Jesus' birth. We went around the table each reading a piece and then dh said the blessing. It was beautiful.

I also read Jotham's Journey with my boys this year and they really loved it and we did lapbooks about the story of Jesus' birth. We spent this season concentrating on the miracle that a Holy Sovereign God would come to this sin-filled earth and live among us... we spent very little time on the "commercialized" aspect of Christmas...and it was so special this year. :)

And then we got into a car accident today.

Satan just can't stand it. He cannot stand to see God's people joyful and he will do anything to steal our joy. The weather has been horrible. We left the house this morning to run an errand not realizing how treacherous the roads were. We got a couple of miles from home and dh said that the roads were too bad so we were going to go back home.

We were sitting at a red light when dh happened to look in his rearview mirror and see the car headed right toward us. He yelled "Everybody hold on tight!!!!" and then the car SLAMMED into us. Our minivan is brand new...we just bought it in August and it is in pretty bad shape now. The other guy's car is completely totaled. But no one was hurt. Thankfully, we have full coverage insurance so it will just be a minor annoyance while we wait to get it fixed.

But it could have been so much worse. We are all shaken up and sore (my neck is killing me but I guess that is to be expected). But we are ok. The kids were really upset and crying right after it happened. Dh pulled the car into a parking lot to wait for the police and I looked up and saw GAMESTOP!! I said "Hey, guys, want to go to Gamestop and get new games for your Nintendo DS'? Suddenly the tears were gone and all was right with the world! :)

So that was our Christmas miracle...a man in a Grand Am going very fast, slams into our minivan, totals his car, wrecks ours, and no one was seriously hurt. God is my shield, my strength, my portion, deliverer, my shelter, strong tower, my very present help in time of need. Praise the Lord above from whom all blessings flow!!!

Merry Christmas and a SAFE New Year!!

I'm glad everyone was ok. However, go to the doctor and have everyone checked out. Soft tissue damage can rear it's ugly head a day or so after an accident. And, you need your neck examined. You want to do this so the other guy's insurance can cover that.

Other than that minor annoyance ;) I'm glad you had a blessed and joyful Christmas!

Soft tissue damage can rear it's ugly head a day or so after an accident. And, you need your neck examined. You want to do this so the other guy's insurance can cover that.

I was afraid someone would say that. This has never happened to me before so I am not sure what is just "normal" post-accident aches and pains and what is real "whiplash"?

Also, if any of your dc were in car seats, they need to be replaced (the car seats, not the dc!), even if they look fine. Again, the other guy's insurance should take care of this immediately. Never use a car seat after an accident.

I feel like I'm taking the wind out of your wonderful holiday, and I'm not trying to!

Do get it checked.

And, don't be surprised if they total your van - and depending on the damage you will want them too. Our neighbor up front had theirs rear ended at a slow speed - it appeared to just need a tailgate and rear window. However, the damage extended up into the sliding door panels and it was a major mess with structure damage up the pillars and in the frame.

Glad to hear overall you are ok - but get the head checked. :grouphug:

Also, if any of your dc were in car seats, they need to be replaced (the car seats, not the dc!), even if they look fine. Again, the other guy's insurance should take care of this immediately. Never use a car seat after an accident.

I feel like I'm taking the wind out of your wonderful holiday, and I'm not trying to!

My little guy is in a booster that uses the car's lap/shoulder belt. Should we still replace it? I never thought of that.

it's wonderful that you are all okay.

I was mentioning to a friend one time that it always seems that just when I get really close to the Lord through a precious time like you mentioned, something horrible happens. I had always wondered about that, and it always made me fear to get close to the Lord. What she said changed my perspective on it forever. She said, "Maybe the Lord draws you especially close because He knows you will need that strength to get through the difficult time He knows is coming." That helped me so much!

I was wondering, were the italicized words toward the bottom of your post a compilation of several different Scriptures? I don't remember them being all together like that, but it was beautiful!

Do get it checked.

And, don't be surprised if they total your van - and depending on the damage you will want them too. Our neighbor up front had theirs rear ended at a slow speed - it appeared to just need a tailgate and rear window. However, the damage extended up into the sliding door panels and it was a major mess with structure damage up the pillars and in the frame.

Glad to hear overall you are ok - but get the head checked. :grouphug:

Hmmm...I was wondering about that. The damage is to our power liftgate, rear bumper, rear quarter panel on the passenger side and all the lights in the back end. I have a feeling that power liftgate is going to be pricey to fix. :glare:

You should see the other guy's car! His passenger side is so smashed in he couldn't even open his glove compartment! We had to take our van to the car wash afterwards because there was shattered glass from his car all over ours (the accident blew out his windows!).

Another amazing thing...typically, at that time of day on that stretch of road he is on his way to take his daughter to daycare. But today his wife had the day off and his daughter stayed home. She would have been sitting in that seat.

it's wonderful that you are all okay.

I was wondering, were the italicized words toward the bottom of your post a compilation of several different Scriptures? I don't remember them being all together like that, but it was beautiful!

Actually they are words from two different songs. But they have been on my mind all day since it happened. I feel so very blessed today, even more so than yesterday when everything was perfect.

Amazing, and beautifully written, story! Praise the Lord you are all okay!

Yes, please go get each of you checked, as if anything IS wrong, you want the guy's insurance to cover it! We were in an accident when I was in college (same thing--we were at a stops sign and a guy rammed into us). My dad and I got whiplash. Though I can't explain it in medical terms (you could Google it), it really hurt! It wasn't so bad right after the accident, but 2 days later I could hardly move. I got it checked, and had 3 treatments of....ummmm......some medical person needs to help me here: They put a gel on, and used a thing, like ultrasound for babies, only it was some kind of heat or something. It helped sooooo much! You don't realize how much you use those muscles until they're damaged! I was a group that was doing a big USO show for veterans. I was in a trio and we were the "Andrews Sisters" singing "Boogy Woogy Bugle Boy", so I HAD to go to practices. But it was so hard I had to have people help me get there and get out of my seat and up and down stairs! By the day of the show, I was in much better shape and did fine.

At any rate, I could never have afforded those treatments on my own. The people taking care of the info. to give to the guys insurance company told me to go get the treatments more, cuz I'd get more money back that way. But I just did what I felt was honestly needed to help me get better. That's all you need to do, but if you sign off before you're all checked out, and something crops up later, you'll be responsible for the costs.

I'll be praying that your van is okay, and that nobody has any long-term problems from this accident!

I LOVE the notecard idea with the scripture and people reading parts of it! We usually do that part on Christmas Eve, with dad reading the story, then we sing together. But, now that the kids are older, we could start a new tradition! :)

doxology. Would you be able to share what the first song is? I'd love to hear it-I could use the encouragement of replacing negative thoughts with it! Thanks! And it has blessed me today to hear your positive reaction to a difficult situation! Get that neck checked out tomorrow!!

It is called "Made Me Glad" and it is by Hillsong

I will bless the Lord forever

I will trust Him at all times

He has delivered me from all fear

He has set my feet upon a rock

I will not be moved

And I'll say of the Lord

You are my shield, my strength

My portion, deliverer

My shelter, strong tower

My very present help in time of need

Whom have I in heaven but You