Menu

Online English class for STEM kids

Dd has taken Introduction to Literature and Composition in CLRC the school year. She found it's a bit light/easy for her and would like a class that focuses more on composition. She'd like to polish her writing skills. Based on the information from the forum, we are currently thinking about Christine Proctor's English Literature & Composition in BT.  However, we understand that the load of the course is not light. Since she is interested in STEM and already has quite amount of math/science classes and activities on her schedule, we wonder if the class serves her need. Any suggestion? Thank you!

CLRC courses aren't light either, so she might be fine. I wouldn't do Lantern or Roy Speed if she found CLRC light. That's not a knock to either. I recommend them to some students, but she'll likely find both of them too light for her if she thought CLRC was too easy and didn't have enough depth. 

What grade? She might dive into AP Lang with Lili Serbicki if she wants both strong and in depth without being an overwhelming amount of work. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Farrar said:

CLRC courses aren't light either, so she might be fine. I wouldn't do Lantern or Roy Speed if she found CLRC light. That's not a knock to either. I recommend them to some students, but she'll likely find both of them too light for her if she thought CLRC was too easy and didn't have enough depth. 

What grade? She might dive into AP Lang with Lili Serbicki if she wants both strong and in depth without being an overwhelming amount of work. 

She will be 8th grade. Given that she is not high school yet, grade might not matter for college application?! We feel it fine to try/experience. Just wonder how deep a STEM student usually dive into literature courses? Time is limited. One can't do everything interested.

Oh. This is the high school board, so it didn't occur to me that she might be in middle school. I assumed you were saying CLRC's high school English classes were easy for her. With that in mind, I have no idea how the middle school CLRC courses are so I can't compare that to Blue Tent at all. 

As an 8th grader, you could look at WTMA or English 8/9 at Aim Academy and I do think Lantern's classes might even be a fit. I'm not really sure because I don't know the comparison point.

Of course you can't do everything. However, it's a little early to turn away. Kids change. You don't want to shut the door entirely. I do think getting balance in the schedule is a good thing though. But you can find literature courses that have some balance. High school English is typically literature and composition both, even for STEM kids.

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

Oh. This is the high school board, so it didn't occur to me that she might be in middle school. I assumed you were saying CLRC's high school English classes were easy for her. With that in mind, I have no idea how the middle school CLRC courses are so I can't compare that to Blue Tent at all. 

As an 8th grader, you could look at WTMA or English 8/9 at Aim Academy and I do think Lantern's classes might even be a fit. I'm not really sure because I don't know the comparison point.

Of course you can't do everything. However, it's a little early to turn away. Kids change. You don't want to shut the door entirely. I do think getting balance in the schedule is a good thing though. But you can find literature courses that have some balance. High school English is typically literature and composition both, even for STEM kids.

Right. Since the CLRC course is for grades 8 and 9, we assume that she will take high school English classes the coming year. Her reading and grammar are beyond grade level. In order not to repeat the same class, would WTMA, Aim Academy, and Latern's classes are good options?