Menu

9th grade history class - what is "normal?"

What is a "normal" or "average" workload for a 9th grade history course?

Is it normal to expect students to write papers? 

Do most classes involve reading + quizzes? Projects?

I realize the answer may be that there is no "normal," as classes can vary widely. I'm just trying to get a general sense.

X posted to Chat

Dd is approaching the end of 9th grade. Her class is called Honors World History.

We think there will have been 4 1,000 word papers with sources

Yes, reading - many, but not all chapters from the text and a few outside articles.

Yes, quizzes and apparently I'm wrong in my assumption that they are just to help fill out the grade book. They really do help them learn the material ("Mom! 🙄")

No projects, but some presentations - ancient African civilizations and a historical character selected from a list of possibilities. These have been group projects. I suppose there is still time in the year for another project

SWB acolyte that I am, I've been a bit sad to see all of history of the world zoom by in one year, but she has definitely benefited from the 2 cycles we did at home.

• Thanks 1

I've taught b&m school history. And now I teach online as well.

I'd say most school classes have at least some papers for history and typically have some mix of presentations and projects, though what the projects look like vary and might be pretty short term. Most classes tend to focus on primary sources but in very short snippets. Lots of emphasis on historical reasoning and less emphasis on specific facts, dates, names, etc. these days. Lots of group work in most school classes, but it might be mostly in class and short term. Most also have quizzes and multiple choice questions, but these are often focused on reasoning more than on specific knowledge. So the knowledge helps a ton with the reasoning, but the reasoning is the focus. These days they've ditched the textbooks in many of these classes. They usually have some homework. How much is going to vary a ton between classes and schools. Honors and AP courses at huge top public schools can be a ton of output and homework. But at a lot of schools, I'd say history is often a bit of a coast class without too much homework.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My dd is in 10th grade at a private high school. She took AP Human Geography in 9th and is in AP Modern World now. 

Lots of quizzes and projects. Her human geography teacher was not great and assigned a lot of PowerPoints and quizzes because that is what the regular history classes are and he wasn’t used to AP. Her current teacher is one of the most engaging in the school and gets amazing AP results. My dd has lots of homework for that class. Quizzes/test/projects. The writing assignments are practice for the AP questions. So she does write in there but not essays or papers exactly. Always tailored toward AP exam question practice. 

Even my dd’s honors English classes don’t have many papers or essays in 9th/10th grade. The creative projects/  PowerPoints /presentations are the evaluations of choice it seems.

I would not be surprised for a 9th grade history course to not require any papers but I would expect projects and some kind of tests/quizzes. At my dd’s school it is fairly common for non-honors track course to have open book/open note tests and quizzes. 

• Thanks 1