Menu

Eclipse and NYState - where to drive

Myra

want to take a road trip on the day of the eclipse april 8 - anywhere in NY State - any ideas where my kids and I could drive up 

I see the maps where the eclipse could be seen BUT exactly where should I go -  specifics appreciated - I just don't want to get in the car and start driving 

Edited by Myra

Brockport is supposed to be right on the line, but this area of NY is on average even cloudier than Seattle. Dh has plans to go up to the Adirondacks in the event of cloudy predictions. I am praying for clear skies.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2024 at 11:31 AM, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

It’s pretty broad in NYS, there’s a wide swath.  Where are you coming from and what part are you looking to go?

The ten day forecast for April 8th isn’t promising.

Coming from NYS ... not sure if should go west to Rochester area or up into adirondacks-  seems like i need some kind of game plan that doesn't involve just hitting the highways and see what happens

Edited by Myra
  • Like 1

I’m starting to low key panic because the forecast for where we’re going (Carbondale, Illinois) isn’t looking great.  But logistically I’m not sure where we can drive to.  It’s also not like we could just get a random hotel if we drove even to Texas.  We booked many years ago for Carbondale.  And traffic is going to be a nightmare. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Myra said:

Coming from troy/schenectady area in NYS ... not sure if should go west to Rochester area or up into adirondacks-  seems like i need some kind of game plan that doesn't involve just hitting the highways and see what happens

Probably from there I would go to the Adirondacks if that’s closer. Rochester’s forecast is for mostly cloudy in the morning and partly cloudy in the afternoon with rain showers. I wouldn’t want to plan to travel far just to not see anything.

My plan is to drive 20 minutes up the road to totality to one of the rural dirt roads.  If it’s really cloudy I probably won’t bother.  School is cancelled here and I’ve sat in so many emergency management meetings about this for the last 18 months, and the one thing no one has discussed is that it’s always cloudy in April here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Myra said:

so  is your Dh just going to hit the road and drive wherever .....

When he's talking off the cuff, that's what it sounds like. I'm guessing he will come up with more of a plan soon? I am not crazy about the idea, so I'm not going to be the one to bring it up.

• Like 1