Menu

EASY dress pattern for woven fabric?

ktgrok

I've slowly started trying garment sewing. I've made the Augustina top for me, the First Day Dress for DD, and some basic shorts for her and tank top for me. Oh, and the Peasant Pocket Dress for DD - actually used a sheet to make a nightgown for her out of that pattern. I also just made her a pretty shirred dress with straps for Easter. She wants me to make myself something too, for Easter, but I'm not sure a shirred dress is appropriate on a nearly 48 yr old mother? I did find some with actual sleeves, but given how they are made I'm thinking I still would need a strapless bra which I hate. Or no bra, which is not an option for me for church (no one there would care, but I would)

I've never done darts or princess seams, bt they don't look impossible....just never done them and am scared. Also have not done set in sleeves. So, that's scary. 

Anyone know of a basic, beginner dress I could make out of 3 yards of double gauze, for a 5'1 person who is overweight?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

I saw a pattern review recently of the Joni Dress by Pattern Scout. I don't know much about it outside of the positive review - but it has shirring 😁

ooh, that looks like a more grown up version of what I did for DD7. watching a review now 🙂

AND there is a full tutorial video!

Edited by ktgrok

Well, that does it. I've spent DAYS searching, and one post here and the hive comes through! Just bought that pattern mentioned above, it's PERFECT for what I want, and my abilities, and my fabric!! 

• Like 5

I made the Joni dress - added extra shirring between the underbust and the waist shirring so it was all continuous. Next time would remember my waist is higher than most, it goes a bit low in the back. Also in photo you can see DD's dress. I got several compliments on it, so thank you! (also, DH loves it because it makes my books look larger)

image.thumb.png.0ae9f3e5ec69d9a5b2de3f31865da39c.png

• Like 10

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

So cute!!! I'm amazed at how quickly you made it! 

It was pretty easy! And I really like it, other than in order to hide my bra I had to cinch it up really tight with the drawstring, which means it was less roomy in the arm pit than I'd prefer with my sensory issues. If I got a decent strapless bra to wear with it then I'd keep it a bit more toward my outer shoulders and it would be more comfy. But my only strapless bra was um...not going to work. No padding, no structure, and yeah, was nearly obscene in that dress, definitely not going to work for a 48 yr old woman going to church on Easter. 

• Like 2