Menu

Dear Hive can you handle another "what to wear to the wedding" thread? I need to choose.

Faith-manor

So here is the deal. Dh's nieces his brother's daughter, is getting married Easter weekend. Black tie optional. Clothing isn't an issue in that we have clothing to meet the code. I am struggling to choose between my options.

Dh is going optional. His tux is worn out. We bought it in 1993. He has worn it a ton because whenever I had piano performances that required me to be in evening gown, he always wore black tux. He also had it dry cleaned every single time. It has been to many a wedding, Carnegie, you name it. It has lost its luster, the hem of one pant leg actually has a fray no, tears in a couple of pockets, a shoulder seam that needs repairs. Not happening. He will be wearing his grey/silver suit - super nice - tux shirt with cuff links, and black and silver paisley tie.

I am posting two pictures that are super close to the two gowns I am choosing between. My burgundy does have some silver beading, and black one has a slightly more elaborate ruching in the bodice, but the silhouette is the same. My question is two fold:

1. Given that Mark is not wearing black, which dress would look best.

2. Is black tie optional also "floor length optional?"

I am tired of floor length. Mark steps on my dress when we dance. He is not exactly Kevin Bacon Foot loose here! 😂 Also, I am short waisted, and only 5'4". I have always felt I look shorter in floor length than mid-calf, or cocktail. But cocktail is absolutely not formal enough. Can I get away with ankle length? Tea length? Mid-calf? I am thinking that I probably cannot get away with midcalf without looking a little out of place.

Both dresses are equally comfortable. I will post a photo so you can see my current hair color as well. Oops, my photo of us is sunset. Okay, well. My hair is mahogany if that helps. It will either be in a simple messy, French twist, or a half up, nothing coiffed or curled insanely. I don't have the patience for that!

619Ug+orQKL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

699848ff67ab066756434c73ddf049f2.webp

26026159_767705840091464_1237847405317816891_o.jpg

• Like 3

I’d pick the black one among the two, assuming it’s what you feel more beautiful in. Mostly because black feels timeless but burgundy feels fall/winter to me. I think black tie optionsl does mean any length of formal is fine, assuming it’s not white, red, or too short. If you’re shopping I’d look for something floral or in a spring color that coordinates with his suit. Not matchy-matchy, but not clashing. 

1 minute ago, Katy said:

I’d pick the black one among the two, assuming it’s what you feel more beautiful in. Mostly because black feels timeless but burgundy feels fall/winter to me. I think black tie optionsl does mean any length of formal is fine, assuming it’s not white, red, or too short. If you’re shopping I’d look for something floral or in a spring color that coordinates with his suit. Not matchy-matchy, but not clashing. 

That sounds good. The black one is basically like the photo of the blush one. No beading. I have a silver wrap I could use if it is chilly. I own both of these dresses, and won't be shopping. I have three evening gowns in my closet, and I just don't want to buy another one! My favorite dress is a jade stretch lace cocktail length dress with beige lining, and a pair of gold shimmer sandals to go with it. It is dressy, but not formal, so that poor dress is not in the running even though it is my favorite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

Initially I was having trouble choosing between the two, but Katy is exactly right--burgundy does feel autumn/winter-ish. 

I think the black will be perfect.

You look great, BTW.

Yes, I do think the black is the way to go now that I have input.

And thanks so much!!! I never think of myself as looking very good. That compliment made my evening! ❤

• Like 1