Menu

Have you used these apps/websites for APD?

My son has a new diagnosis of Auditory Processing Disorder (APD or CAPD), a combination of 2 subtypes: decoding and hypersensitivity.

The report recommends a bunch of things, including a home training program. If you have used any of the following, could you let me know if you liked/disliked any of the following:

auditory processing studio (app)

hear coach  (app)

auditory workout (app)

angel sound (web based)

For a bit of background, the hypersensitivity profile is right on. As far as decoding, he mainly struggles with writing and a little with spelling. His reading ability is advanced.

Thank you!

You want someone to work with you in person. Tech is fine as a bonus, something coming alongside. If your audiologist doesn't do the work that is needed, look for an SLP who specializes in APD. It's an auditory processing of LANGUAGE issue so an SLP is the logical one to be doing the work. The issue is finding the person, sigh.

18 hours ago, PeterPan said:

You want someone to work with you in person. Tech is fine as a bonus, something coming alongside. If your audiologist doesn't do the work that is needed, look for an SLP who specializes in APD. It's an auditory processing of LANGUAGE issue so an SLP is the logical one to be doing the work. The issue is finding the person, sigh.

We have an SLP who’s working with the audiologist, he will have in person therapy. The home training was suggested in addition to the in person therapy. I was just curious if anyone had experience with the products, I will also discuss with SLP. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 3:40 PM, SFisher said:

auditory processing studio (app)

hear coach  (app)

auditory workout (app)

angel sound (web based)

Haven't used any of them, but of those the APS looks the most thorough. AW is young and AS probably wouldn't be something that would fit my student. HC looks intriguing though I'm guessing it's pretty challenging. If I were spending money, of those I'd go with the APS. If you decide to try HC I'd be interested to hear how it goes. 

Fwiw, my ds' autism is severe enough that he really needed the support of motivating background noises, higher interest, etc. He's gotten good results because the SLP could take so much time to customize. The APS does look terrific though.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/listen-auditory-training/id1031353626

I am actually using this one!!  I don’t know if it works yet but it is challenging and lots of thought put into it.  The negative reviews I don’t think they understood.  The sound is faint on purpose.  It requires head phones.  (And they need to be in the correct ears- DS figured that out).  Started a couple weeks ago and he’s been moving up through levels.  It plays increasingly distracting background noise.

Edited by Nm.
  • Like 1