Menu

Librela? (Dog medicine)

Drama Llama

12 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I’m on a Facebook group called “librela experiences”.   It shares good and bad experiences.  For us, we decided not to try it right now until it’s been used for longer.   Our dog gets adequan injections every 3 weeks.  Heat therapy and acupuncture also help.   

What kind of bad experiences are people sharing?

Oh gosh, all kinds of issues.   A lot of back ends dropping and can’t get back up.   Immediate and gradual deterioration leading to death.   There are *some* positive stories so it’s not all bad, but it is not worth the risk for us.  Even if it meant that I had to put mine down a little sooner, I’d rather do that at this point, than take what I feel is a bigger risk having her suffer more on Librela.  BUT people have had good experiences, so I feel bad for saying all that.   My vet told me to do my own research and make the decision myself.  She was adamant that I look into it before we tried it.  And i’m glad she did. 

I don't have any experience, but I'd consider --

• How badly is the dog affected
  • Have other things been tried (Adequan in particular, but also carprofen or other pain medications, supplements)
  • Why does the vet think it's the best treatment for your dog
  • How have other dogs the vet has treated with it responded?

My only real hesitation would be because it so recently received FDA approval. If there are older effective treatments (again wondering about Adequan) that are well proven to be safe then I tend to err on the side of those versus jumping right on a new medication. But I really hope it turns out to be a good option, and I'd be interested in hearing how it works for your dog if you decide to try it.

Edited by Pawz4me

.We are seeing amazing results with it at work.  Only one dog didn’t respond to it well.  It has been used in Europe for several years before it got approved here.  I am strongly considering it for my elderly dachshund as the usual medications for her are no longer working well and will bring it up with her vet once she is due for her shots.   I have no hesitation using it with my own pets when needed. 

Disclamier-  I am working with a vet who is more on the holistic side and  he is happy with what he is seeing. 

One negative that you need to consider is that it is a monthly shot at the vet.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Thanks 1

We're on our second month of using it. It has been amazing for our 9 yo dog. About a week after his first shot, he was back to playing. We saw a little decline and more limping at about 3.5 weeks and he just got his second shot yesterday. He's also been taking carprofen for the last 2 years.

We had another dog who was on carprofen and gabapentin. We didn't think the gabapentin was helpful and tried increasing the dose. It was still within size/safety limits, but she started having uncontrollable diarrhea. Because of our previous experience with it, we've chosen not to use gabapentin at this point for our second dog.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

@Tree Frog, I didn’t know gaba could cause diarrhea.  I’m glad you mentioned that.   My girl has been on it longer this time and I think she’s had a little issue with that.   

It was horrible! All over downstairs. I was so thankful she couldn't go upstairs. It started right after we increased her dose and went away as soon as we made the connection and decreased it again. 

Drama llama, I hope it works as well for your pup as it has for ours! 

Edited by Tree Frog
  • Like 1