Menu

Does anyone remember me posting about my dd's purple toes?

I have posted before about my dd having bluish/purple toes in the winter. She has been to the Dr. about it, being diagnosed with vascular problems. She even had an echocardiogram done at one time to see if her poor circulation stemmed from a heart valve.

So just tonight she was asking for some cortisone cream because her toes are so itchy~ that's what we've done in the past and it helped. So as I was putting the lotion on her toes, I was commenting on how hot her toes were. They were very swollen as well, but these things haven't been unusual for her during the winter. We just can't seem to get a clear answer about it.

So for some reason, I just Googled "hot, swollen, itchy toes". Why I never used those key words together before is beyond me; I guess I was more consumed with the color and inflammation which always yielded "blue toe" syndrome or something like that.

Anyway, this time the search results came back as chilblains! I looked at the images, read from several sources, and it all appears to be exactly what she has!

So, does anyone know anything about chilblains? Everything I read so far says to keep the body warm but dd is already always warm. She's extremely thin, but is always hot (she's been that way since she was an infant). So for her to dress in layers is going to be hard, but it also seems unnecessary since she doesn't feel cold. I do make her wear socks or slippers during the day but inevitably they come off because her feet are hot.

I will put a call in to the Dr. next week about it, but in the meantime, I'm curious if anyone knows anything about this (or has a spouse in the medical profession by chance?).

I'm pretty excited to finally be able to put a name to this after years of wondering and invasive testing, though I do wonder why the Dr's never mentioned this as a possibility.

My dd has the same thing, it makes me nervous. I can never figure out what it is.

I have a heck of a time, getting her to wear socks or heavy layers too. I was thinking it might be Raynauds, but I think its just a matter of regulating and teaching her how to regulate. I dont think I can take her for a battery of tests. Other than her feet changing colors she is healthy.

I will have to look up chillblains, I have never heard of them.

Reynaud's was one thought that the Dr. had, but honestly, I don't think that's what it is. I have Reynaud's in my fingers. When I have an "attack", it subsides pretty quickly. My dd's toes are perpetually red/blue, swollen and itchy for the duration of the winter. Chilblains has been the closest thing I've come up with. But we'll see what the Dr. says on Monday.

I have learned by trail and error what helps.

I wash my feet with antibacterial soap 2-3 times a day in the winter and change my socks each time. I no longer have purple spots on them and they are not itchy

Also I exercise (walk 5-6 miles a day) I think this has increase my circulation and has also widened my vessels which seems to help the problem

Mine has been called Reynauds, but like you I don't agree with this. Honestly to me it doesn't matter what it's called I just want to know how to make it better.

Karen

I will let you know! Have you had your dd checked? Maybe she has Reynaud's? All these years that I have been told Reynaud's from the Dr., I have only semi-accepted it. Mainly during the times of the year when I am not privy to her condition. But come winter and I see her feet...I just know it can't be Reynaud's. Besides, the image on the wikipedia article for chilblains is exactly what my dd's feet look like. But I will definitely let you know!

Hmm...that's interesting on the antibacterial soap. I will keep that in mind.

Only one site that I read about chilblains mentioned that there are prescriptive lotions and/or medication that would clear up the condition within 14 days. That's why I want I want to call her Dr. on Monday.

I can't imagine that she doesn't exercise enough. She's a kid with a younger brother who likes to wrestle with and chase her, in addition to her other activities. But who knows? I'm open to anything. Like you, I just want it cleared up!

Did you by any chance look up chilblains?

I've had Reynaud's since I was a teenager, and I have noticed that when I warm up a little and my circulation improves, my fingers and toes itch. The itching is "under the skin," so to speak, and never seems to stop. No amount of scratching will make it go away, but my skin does feel better while I'm scratching.

Just thought I'd throw that out there...:001_smile:

I was Googling chilblains. As I read about it, I kept thinking that it sounded like something that someone with Reynaud's (my dd16 suffers from this) could get as a result of Reynaud's. So, I googled chilblains reynauds. Guess what, chilblains is often a result of Reynaud's.

You are right, the pictures under chilblains do not look like Reynaud's. Reynaud's is a totally different look, totally white/bloodless. But, the chilblains are what would come after that reaction. A frostbite of sorts. It could be possible that she is suffering from both.

Several of our children have suffered with the red/blue/purple toes and fingers. I looked into the things you have all mentioned. I thought it was a rampant case of yeast infection because it always flared up in the fall along with the increase in candy and desserts over the holidays. The buzzing and itching varied with the different children. The youngest would sit on the floor and cry because his feet hurt so badly. It was a bit frightening. Eventually, we received a diagnosis from our pediatrician of an unusual form of eczema. She even called in another pediatrician to confer on it. I had two children down with it at the time with varying stages and symptoms. They prescribed an ointment that helped, but did not cure it. I put all the kids with symptoms on an elimination diet since eczema is the result of allergy and I'd rather cure them than treat them indefinitely. It took several months to determine that four of our children are allergic to wheat, soy, corn, and all their forms. Bummer. Yeast and sugar also seem to play a role in flare-ups and the winter weather also brings their sensitivity levels up. I think it has to do with Vitamin D deficiency and will persue supplements. It is difficult to find vitamins without corn or soy!! If they "cheat" and eat any of their allergens they will get blue toes and fingers and it won't clear up for a month :(