Menu

Anyone know anything about ACT accommodations for APD?

I will be calling the ACT accommodations hotline Monday but I was wondering if anyone had any experience. I cannot seem to find anything online about if APD would get accommodation or what they would be if they did. I have heard that getting accommodations is complicated so I am not looking forward to the process. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EKS said:

What accommodations are you looking for?

ETA: Have you seen this?  It mentions auditory processing (once, but it shows that the CB recognizes it).

I am not super familiar with the accommodations available but from what I can tell -- the ones that would be helpful for ds would be 1) printed copy of verbal instructions and 2) setting -- either sitting somewhere alone or in a different area of the room as any noise/sounds are incredibly distracting for him. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

I am not super familiar with the accommodations available but from what I can tell -- the ones that would be helpful for ds would be 1) printed copy of verbal instructions and 2) setting -- either sitting somewhere alone or in a different area of the room as any noise/sounds are incredibly distracting for him. 

I suspect that it will be fairly straightforward to get those.  It's the extended time accommodation that can be a problem.  That said, the place where he takes it is going to need to have the personnel available to administer it in a separate room.  We had good luck with this at the local CC.

Here is a pdf of the verbal instruction script, if it would help him to see them beforehand.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EKS said:

I suspect that it will be fairly straightforward to get those.  It's the extended time accommodation that can be a problem.  That said, the place where he takes it is going to need to have the personnel available to administer it in a separate room.  We had good luck with this at the local CC.

Here is a pdf of the verbal instruction script, if it would help him to see them beforehand.

ds took the ACT last spring and said he had plenty of time. (yeah he did terrible but finished!) 😆

40 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

ds took the ACT last spring and said he had plenty of time. (yeah he did terrible but finished!) 😆

Was his score in line with what you know to be true about his achievement?

I know how to do all of the problems on the ACT (not bragging, just true), and I have a hard time finishing even a first pass in the amount of time allotted.  I can finish a first pass when taking the GRE in half the time.

10 minutes ago, EKS said:

Was his score in line with what you know to be true about his achievement?

I know how to do all of the problems on the ACT (not bragging, just true), and I have a hard time finishing even a first pass in the amount of time allotted.  I can finish a first pass when taking the GRE in half the time.

honestly, this kid is a mystery to me. He is super smart but has executive functioning and memory issues so I had no expectations. We are planning on having him work one on one with a tutor for spring semester to give him the maximum opportunity. He has a lot of work to do. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cintinative said:

Maybe the difference is that we have a 504 from the school district (even though we homeschool) but we had no trouble getting 1.5 time for the ACT.  

Does your son happen to have a 504?

No 504 or IEP. We have always homeschooled. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am just now getting to requesting accommodations. I plan to request one alone half time, written copy of spoken instructions, and then I am not sure if I should request one to one testing. Is that difficult to get? The issue is with auditory distractions. If he is granted one and half time he would be in a smaller class size, but being alone would be best. Anyone get one to one approved? Any downside to requesting it?

Also, on the Exceptions statement form, it asks homeschoolers to request a letter from a homeschool teacher, co-op or consortium to indicate types of accommodations used, how and when, and time used. None of this is applicable. We go to a co-op but he doesn't test there. All accommodations are from me at home. At first I assumed they were asking for a letter from someone other than homeschool mom, but perhaps I am overthinking this? I am homeschool teacher so I write a letter?