Menu

Changing reported "planned" DE spring semester courses (senior year of high school)? Also 3 years of science plus tech?

cintinative

We are thinking of completely changing our planned spring DE courses (that have already been reported via Common App).

We would be dropping (algebra-based) physics with lab* and adding a computer programming class. This would be the second programming class in their series. I am looking for input on if this would be considered a drop in rigor. 

We would be possibly swapping out a planned technology class for another technology class. I assume this is not a big deal

We would be possibly swapping out a communications class for something else.  Or keeping it. Not sure yet.

We could add another DE class since he would not be doing physics with lab.

home based lit and AP calculus would stay.

He already has Bio with lab, Chem with Lab, Physics with Lab plus a couple programming classes (one is DE) and five technology classes (all DE).

Thoughts on how this would impact our app?  We are not applying to highly selective schools. Should we worry about dropping the physics?

*The problem we are having on the physics is that it is unclear if it will transfer to any of our target schools. We thought about switching to a calc-based physics but for that course it is indicated as a possible transfer problem at all the schools. It *may* be because of how our DE school handles courses (the DE school's physics and physics lab are separate courses). Or it may just be that the other schools have a slightly different topic sequence for physics and so there isn't a great correlation. In any event, it seems like it would serve my son better to take physics at whatever school he ends up attending IF we still have a competitive app with the proposed course changes.

Edited by cintinative

Have you checked what required/recommended for the schools he plans to apply to? I've seen some schools require four years of science for prospective STEM students, others require three years (with physics required for STEM students), and others that just want three years (with at least one 'natural science' like biology and one 'physical science' like chemistry or physics). 

If you're worried about a drop in rigor, are there other science courses at his DE school that interest him?

ETA: I did notice that one of the schools we're considering specifically says that you should talk with an admissions counselor before doing senior year academic schedule changes. Maybe have him reach out to the prospective schools?

Edited by silver
  • Thanks 1

@silver he only emailed one school but they said that it would affect his application. =(

So I think he's going to email another school the same question.

We were going to drop the physics with lab and add two more IT (programming) classes, so  he would have a total of three IT classes plus a communications class plus home based lit and calculus.

If we add calculus-based physics and calculus, I don't know that he can do all that plus two more college classes. I suppose we could try and then drop something?

11 minutes ago, silver said:

That's a bummer. 😕 I assume it's because he'd have one less lab science? Is there a different 1 semester science course he might be interested in? Maybe one with a smaller course load than calc based physics? 

I guess they must want four natural sciences. He really doesn't want to take any other sciences. I had mentioned astronomy.  

The square block/round hole problem we are having is that the four programs he applied to are different and he wants the credits to count toward the degrees.  

On 10/18/2023 at 8:12 PM, cintinative said:

*The problem we are having on the physics is that it is unclear if it will transfer to any of our target schools. We thought about switching to a calc-based physics but for that course it is indicated as a possible transfer problem at all the schools. It *may* be because of how our DE school handles courses (the DE school's physics and physics lab are separate courses). Or it may just be that the other schools have a slightly different topic sequence for physics and so there isn't a great correlation. In any event, it seems like it would serve my son better to take physics at whatever school he ends up attending IF we still have a competitive app with the proposed course changes.

Can you get a current/recent syllabus for the physics and lab, then reach out to the schools in question and see how it would transfer? 

Ex: When I looked at the transfer equivalency portal for some of our potential schools, certain classes from ASU weren't showing up. These were run-of-the-mill general education courses that SHOULD have transferability. I reached out to the registrar,  told them I was planning the following semester, and wanted to know how the classes would transfer in. She had the syllabi reviewed by the department heads, and then let me know how they would be evaluated upon admission. 

3 minutes ago, MagistraKennedy said:

Can you get a current/recent syllabus for the physics and lab, then reach out to the schools in question and see how it would transfer? 

Ex: When I looked at the transfer equivalency portal for some of our potential schools, certain classes from ASU weren't showing up. These were run-of-the-mill general education courses that SHOULD have transferability. I reached out to the registrar,  told them I was planning the following semester, and wanted to know how the classes would transfer in. She had the syllabi reviewed by the department heads, and then let me know how they would be evaluated upon admission. 

I figured out that the problem was that I wasn't adding the lab to Transferology. Once I added the lab, the courses showed as transferable.

The algebra-based physics course + lab will transfer to all three schools but will only count toward the degree for one. The calc-based physics would count at all three.

Edited by cintinative

2 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I figured out that the problem was that I wasn't adding the lab to Transferology. Once I added the lab, the courses showed as transferable.

The algebra-based physics course + lab will transfer to all three schools but will only count toward the degree for one. The calc-based physics would count at all three.

I haven't really used Transferology ---- I generally just search school+TES and use that one. But there are classes that don't always show up, inevitably. 🤷‍♀️

I'm glad you got closer to a solution. 

So basically we have two plans mapped out that we could do:

Original scenario we are replacing:

DE Algebra-based physics with Lab

DE Digital Media (we will have to replace because only one section)

DE Communications

Home based calc

home based lit

Replacement Scenario 1 (my son's preferred)

DE Comput Programming II

DE Database Management II

DE Information Security and Assurance

DE Communications course

home based Calc

home based lit

Replacement Scenario 2 

Calc Based Physics plus lab

College Calc (would have to discontinue home-based calc before we were done--projected to be done with home based at the end of Feb)

one IT course or the communications class

home based Lit

I would think Scenario 2 would be an increase in rigor. Not sure how they would view Scenario 1

• Like 1