Menu

What are the options? Medicaid related

DawnM

A dear friend had a stoke a few years back.   The family member who has been caring for her has just found out he has dementia and it is progressing rapidly.   He will most likely go to a home soon as she can't care for him and he can't care for himself or her.

She has medicaid and disability but does have falls.    She really shouldn't be alone at all, but her kids all work and have very active lives with kids' sports, etc....so their care would be sporadic even if she lived with them.

Are there options for drop in care, a day facility, etc.....but with medicaid paying?   She has no money.   And she isn't local to me.

I guess a $25/mo life alert would be helpful, but I am worried that won't be enough.   And do they charge to come out if you fall?

Any thoughts or ideas?   

12 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Honestly, I would look for nursing facilities that take Medicaid and place both of them there.  It sounds like she truly will not be able to live on her own.

This is what I would do. Medicaid does not pay for in home care under these circumstances, nor drop in care, assisted living, etc. They only pay for nursing home care. We tried to get that changed in our state because assisted living is actually cheaper for the tax payers per month in most of our locales than nursing home, and is a better fit for many patients. Legislators refused. They felt that if they changed it, many elders would be placed in assisted living costing the state a bundle. They were entirely indifferent to the needs of the people and their families, the burdens families face, and the fact that many elders have no family members to assist them. So it was really disgusting.

Since she has no money to pay for caregivers out of pocket, she likely has no choice. She needs to get on waiting lists for area nursing homes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

Honestly, I would look for nursing facilities that take Medicaid and place both of them there.  It sounds like she truly will not be able to live on her own.

I am not 100% sure she would qualify but we can see.   She may resist quite a bit and of course, I can only suggest, it isn't up to me, but we are continuing to have conversations about it.